How to remove dividing wall while still supporting load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a wall separating our bathroom and toilet which we'd like to remove. However by doing so I'm afraid about losing support for the wall which has the doors. The house is 1950s and although the wall with the doors seems to be load bearing I can't see a lintel above the doors. I'm worried that removing the subdividing wall will mean the concrete bricks above the space between the current doors will cave. Can anyone advise?

Attachments

• 20190713_134305.jpg
    20190713_134305.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 20190713_134324.jpg
    20190713_134324.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
Put a lintel in, that spans the two doors. In addition, fix two 100mm x 50mm timbers snug between the frames and tight against the new lintel.

Then knock the wall down.

what is above the wall with the doors ?
and is the ceiling at different heights each side of the wall,

I take it that it is just a stud partion wall, I would remove the plaster board (or lathe and plaster) first then I could see how it was all joined together
I would cut away the wall from the door wall near the top then make good the door wall with a lintel as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
The builder we got in wants to cut up until the last bit of brick (leaving a little bit) and then put in a stud frame to block the door. There's no lintel there already but the weight was resting on a wood frame. The builder is saying the stud wall will hold the weight. I am worried about how stable that little bit of brick will be

@Munroist above the wall with the door is just the attic and the ceilings are the same height

First thing. Is the wall with the doors supporting anything above?

Remove some of the plaster above the doors to see if it is one lintel.
You will either have one lintel all the way across both doors, two separate lintels or just a lintel above one door.

What ever you do to the partition wall will disturb the doorways.

Easier thing to do is remove both doorways and the partition wall and build a new stud wall

Yes it supporting some weight from the attic. There's no lintel over either of the doors. Just the wood holding the weight that you can see in the picture

If that wall is load bearing, then the load is currently on that centre wall going back towards the external walls.

If that wall is going, then you need to be sure that the wall with those two doorways can actually transfer that load to whatever is below it

Funnily enough the subdividing wall seems to be resting on a timber plank on top of the floorboards. The floor it rests on has floor trusses. The wall with the doors also rests on the floorboards only... Can this even be load bearing then?

If it is really load bearing then you need to determine what the load actually is and where this load is going down to the ground floor. Your description so far is vague.

Sorry, so the load bearing wall rests directly on the floorboards (parallel) and the joists below (perpendicular) have trusses but there is no wall directly below on the ground floor. In the attic there is a joist resting on a plank of wood that sits on top of the wall (perpendicular). (See below picture). In the earliar picture you can see there are wood lintels over the doors.

The non load bearing brick wall that we want to knock down- This intersects the load bearing wall and forms the bit between the doors. This non load bearing wall sits on a plank that sits directly on the floorboards (perpendicular) with the joists below parallel. In the roof nothing is resting on this.

I attach a picture from the attic. A is the roof joist, B is the wood on top of the load bearing wall, C is the bricks from the non load bearing wall.

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_230806_753.jpg
    IMG_20190715_230806_753.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 262

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back