How to remove electric oven power

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved in to house, oven not working properly, needs replacing. I want to remove it so we can clean the kitchen properly. Do I just unscrew the wall plate and remove wires? I can cut off all house power, cannot see how to isolate kitchen though from fuse box. There is an isolation switch on the wall by oven, but not keen to rely on that, just in case! Can I just replace wall plate and then power house back on after? IMG_20170820_132725354.jpg IMG_20170820_132744896.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes.

It will be one of the red spotted fuses - it should be marked cooker on the label above.
Turn off main switch and cooker switch, pull out the fuse and keep somewhere, there should be a cover for all the fuses, replace that, you should test for dead at wall plate, remove wires from wall plate, replace cover, turn on main switch.

Couldn't find a red one
200px-Rewirable_fuse_225-6.jpg

Thanks guys. I ended up going to Curry's and found a cheap (£165!) Oven and decided to pay for them to install it. Bit expensive at 75 quid, but one less thing for me to do.

Sponsored Links
Currys installers have a reputation of refusing to do their job for some stupid reason. Good luck.

Yes don't rely on currys to install, unless it is a simple job, such as a plug/socket install and not gas pipes in the way behind the appliance.
With regards to isolating the circuit, I would not recommend just pulling the fuse, I would advise to prove the circuit is dead before you touch anything else. The circuit could be marked up incorrectly.

Do you still have the cover for the fuses, the circuits were often written inside of that

All done. The Curry's guys were excellent.

IMG_20170822_225050423_HDR.jpg

Typical 1970's ex-LA installation (forgive me if your house is not ex-LA) right over the cooker!

Not the Curry's bit, the original switch box.

It's a 1930s bungalow, not la. Curry's mentioned the switch, said it was not ideal! The whole thing is only temporary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back