How to remove mould spores from a ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have round black mould spores running along one edge of the en-suite emulation painted ceiling, no doubt caused by excessive moister. The question is how do I shift it and apart from keeping the window open longer how do I prevent it from coming back?

Sponsored Links
Wipe over with bleach to kill, increase ventilation, ideally mechanical ventilation in kitchens and bathrooms.
My shower room has no window but twin ceiling extractor fans, no steam or mold as a result.

dettol-173x300.jpg

Good ventilation will stop it from returning.

Sponsored Links
Killing the mildew with bleach will make it easier to clean off. However you will not remove spores, they are everywhere in the air. What you have to do is to remove the damp conditions that enable it to grow.

You need an effective extractor, running all the time the bathroom is in use, and afterwards for long enough to remove the moisture coming from the wet towels and shower.

The best way I know is to get a Centrifugal fan (these are generally quieter and more powerful than Axial fans) which comes on automatically every time the light is switched on (some people have a mental aversion to ventilation and will not turn fans on) and has an overrun timer to kep it running for a while after use.

If the fan you use is not quiet, people will grumble about the noise and try to disable it.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back