How to remove old cast iron soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
could anyone advise how to remove remnants of old soil pipe? I am in the process of renewing the section coming into the toilet. So far I have removed a section of cast iron back to a collar, the problem is there are remnants of the now removed section within the collar which i just can't shift. Is this stuff secured with some sort of putty? I'm wondering whether heat may shift it i.e. a blow lamp or paint stripping gun, bit scared of shattering the collar if i use too much force :confused:
Any advice would be great as I am absolutely pulling my hair out now!!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
most likely it is lead run

they can be a bit of a pain to get out make sure u you dont let any chunks fall down the waste

as bingo says, make sure no bits go down the pipe, so for starters put a few carrier bags together and place in pipe nice and tight, then get a hammer and cold chisel and break the left over pipe straight into the joint (parallel with the spigot), when through the pipe in one place move a couple of inches further round and chisel straight in again, this will remove a small section of the circumference, it should now be easy to remove the rest by chiselling across from 1st cut, once the cast is out chisel through the rope and lead to completely remove everything

kirk,bingo

is this what my old tradesman called the "leeed soojhur"

to the rest of the uk a lead soldier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, managed to shift the old remnants with a cold chisel as suggested. Don't want to be doing that again any time soon!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back