how to remove temperature dial on thermostatic shower

Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
Hello,
I have a thermostatic shower that runs either really hot, or really cold. I want to take of the front cover so I can have a look at the pump to see if it is easily fixable.

The temperature dial has two knobs on it. The longer one I could turn by hand and it loosens and comes off. This is the green arrow on the picture below.

The smaller knob will not come undone, not matter how much force I apply - you can see it has had the chrome scraped off it by the tool i was trying to use to loosen it. I assume i do need to remove this smaller knob, as the temperature dial will not lift off without it.

Any ideas how to undo it? Or is there something else i need to do to get the temperature dial off? The on/off dial above it came off easily.
Many thanks

IMG_7925.JPG

I have a thermostatic shower that either runs really hot, or really cold

Sponsored Links
That top one on temp is safety button and doesn't come off. You need to undo bottom handle then use Allen key to remove grub screw inside.

thanks for the quick reply! i had a feeling it would be something like that, however, i already unscrewed the bottom handle and used the allen key to remove the grub screw. despite all my tugging on the dial it wouldn't come off. That led me to try removing the safety button, as that was the only other thing i could see that was potentially keeping the dial on the wall plate.

let me know if you have any other ideas as to what could be causing this, or how to remove it - thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've posted a picture of what the inside of the longer knob looks like after i have unscrewed it and removed the grub screw. Not sure if that sheds any light on it? (not sure whether the blue strreak is relevant in any way))
IMG_7926.JPG

Unfortunately it still won't come off when i pull on it - seems wedged tight to the wall plate.

The odd thing is that the on/off knob came off easily when i removed the corresponding knob - i just pulled it and off it came.

It's probably seized on with scale, try wiggling up and down as you pull, it will come off

thanks for the help - i tried wiggling up and down, but no luck unfortunately. Also tried squirting some vinegar in the hole, but that ran off too fast unfortunately. I guess i'll have to get a guy with some sort of cutter around to get it off :(

odd, given the on/off temperature knob slid off so easily..

Turn it upright,spray wd40 into the hole several times.

Leave it work overnight,go down the pub for a few drinks and you will have the energy to pull it off in the morning :!:

interesting - is the theory behind the wd40 that it will dissolve the scale, or just let it slide off more easily?

is the theory behind the wd40 that it will dissolve the scale

It will help but let it soak in for a few hours.

Sometimes a decent screwdriver blade can be inserted into the hole between the end of the white shaft and the valve handle and lever off.

Hello,
I have a thermostatic shower that runs either really hot, or really cold.

this can happen if the hot and the cold pipes have been put on the wrong connectors, or if cold is mains pressure and hot is tank.

before you get carried away...

did it ever work properly?

can you check the pipes?

are hot and cold at the same pressure?

Hi John,
It's never worked properly since i moved into the flat, so it's my theory that it hasn't worked since it was installed.

Hot and cold have good pressure. I don't have access to the pipes to check them though, that's why i need to remove the temperature dial (i.e. what i'm trying to do above) to have a look. I was hoping if the pipes have been put on the wrong connector, it might just be a case of flipping a component in the shower pump - although this is a complete guess on my part as i have never done this before!

if the pipes are on the wrong connectors, is it a quick fix, or is it not easy to fix (e.g. the pipes need to be moved which would be quite a bit of work)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back