How to repair roofing membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had some work done in the loft and the workmen managed to burn a hole through the membrane under the tiles, and scorch another area.

What is the appropriate fix for this?

They've agreed to "do something" about it, but I'd be grateful of your insights to ensure its fixed properly.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220210_130508612.jpg
    PXL_20220210_130508612.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20220210_130521520.jpg
    PXL_20220210_130521520.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
How the hell did you do that?

The membrane works by allowing water that gets past the tiles to stay on the tile side surface of the membrane, while allowing air to ventilate.
So you need to make a T shaped patch with the vertical poking through the hole, and the cross bar inside the loft.
You could use some double sided tape to hold it together and maybe a couple of stitches as fixings? Staples?

Hot flame in a loft? Yeah they seem to know what they are doing, which would make me question any repair they plan to do unless the "doing something about it" is patching in a new section of membrane from the roof side.

It happened soldering joints in the pipes visible just below the offending areas.

The hole is right next to a roofing lath, meaning a fix could be very involved?

Obviously I'm annoyed this has happened, how much of a problem is it? I'm sure the company will try and get out of it, whats an acceptible level of repair vs the risk of the hole existing?

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't matter to you.

Someone has damaged your property, so they should put it back into the state it was in before the damage. That membrane would be expected to last in excess of 60 years.

Now if you damaged it yourself, you may accept an inferior repair, a temporary patch that will become a permanent patch if it lasts.

You would not accept a patch from the firm who damaged it, as in a few years if the patch fails the firm is no longer to be found or not interested.

Either the firm rectifies it or you get a quote from others and they pay for it. What the cost is, is of no concern to you.

That's just plain clumsy as above needs reinstating to original condition.
As an aside there is absolutely no need for any plumber/heating engineer to be doing hot work in lofts (or anywhere else)
When using copper we shifted to press fittings some years ago. Quick neat no flame!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back