How to repair water leak on my roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have water running down the side of my house because of a crack in the valley on my roof. I know this is the cause because I sprayed the spot where the crack is and water started to leak down the house wall.

My question is how do I fix it? :) I am guessing I need to cement the tiles again where the crack is by removing the existing cement. How do I remove the cement - just with a hammer and chisel?

Any tips/advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• image1-104.jpeg
    image1-104.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image0-175.jpeg
    image0-175.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
A simpler fix would be roofing sealant and you would be best cleaning and drying the area first with a stiff brush and choose a sealant that can be used in damp or wet conditions. Get as much as you can into the joint until it fills the crease and smooth with a wet finger. Alternatively the tiles need to come off and either grind out the mortar or hope it comes off with a hammer and chisel and rebed the tiles and point flush. You may be better re-doing the lower section too as it doesn't look that great to be honest and may also be letting water in.
A lot will depend on access as it looks like a steep roof so make sure you do it safely.

Thanks for your reply. Actually I have fixed the issue and so far it seems to have worked, finders crossed. The solution I used was to hammer and chisel out the old mortar and then replace with new cement. I did not lift the tiles as the first tile on each row is cemented in and I did not want to damage the tiles by trying to lift them. With regards the lower section, I did test these rows and it is keeping the water out, for now at least! But yes, it looks pretty messy, I think the chap who did it just buttered some cement over what was already there, without removing old mortar. He did from it a ladder, but Im using mobile scaffolding :)

It did not work after all! Looks like the water is coming in from under the cement on the left side of the valley! I can slide a business card under the cement so enough room for water to get in...I will do the same for the left side, chisel out the old mortar and re-point. Is it good idea to apply cement to lead in the first place though?

Sponsored Links
I fixed this by re-pointing all the verge tiles from the start till the end of the valley, no more leak down the house wall!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back