How to replace a double dimmer switch with a double one way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am very confused about the wiring. Blue and black connected together - and what is the yellow - not earth I think.....
Not sure how to connect an ordinary double switch. Can anyone help please?
14 nov 2015 024.jpg

Sponsored Links
The yellow and red from the squiggly line terminal go into the two L1's on the new switch, and then the reds that are joined together in L1 on your current switch go into the commons on the new switch

Sorry - the picture is the old dimmer switch and I want to replace it with an ordinary double switch.

wrote this before I saw your reply
SOrry. Will now read your replay

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I will try that and let you know. Thanks very much for yourhelp

What you have is a green and yellow cable/cables which are the earth, these are connected to the earth terminal of the new switch plate or the backbox if the plate does not require earthing.
The Black and Blue cables are a looped in neutral and the stay as they are.
The red in L1 are your permanent live or common or maybe L on a standard rocker switch, the red cable link between them offers a perm live to the second gang switch still com (common) or L.

The one left over red and yellow are the switch lives that are terminated at L1 or L2 of the new switch, one on one gang and the other on the second gang.

Last edited:
The yellow is connected to the L1 terminal - not the squiggly one. The squiggle one had the reds going in and out.So, in that picture the very top terminal of the three shown is L1.

Perm live to com/L of new switch.
Spare/switch lives red and Yellow to L1 of each switch
Do you have a voltage indicator to ID perm voltage.

Can you tell me from the photo which wire is the perm?

I managed it. And yes I will get the voltage indicator - or can I use my little screwdriver with a light in it?
Thank you anyway for all your help.
Denis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back