how to replace diaphragm on potterton performa 24 combi

finally got hold of a replacement diaphragm, so i opened up the valve, and found that the old dia was punctured. put in the new one and problem solved - i now have HW!!

Can't thank u guys enough!

Cheers!

PS: It was indeed a 10-min job! ;)

Sponsored Links
yupi3ti.gif
a084.gif
clapping.gif

turn water off under boiler open hot tap 6 screws ONE PIPE at top strip out replace including gland nut that comes with diaphragm kit 10 mins max.

I did one today but there were EIGHT screws !

Even so I still only charged £94 inc which is less than half the £200 the OP was mentioning!

Tony

Sponsored Links
IF you count the 2 on front panel and one holding on the microswitch ,there is 9 screws. But whats a screw amongst friends.
Usually trouble ;) :LOL:

IF you count the 2 on front panel and one holding on the microswitch ,there is 9 screws. But whats a screw amongst friends.
Usually trouble ;) :LOL:

But there were eight holding the diaphragm unit together!

Tony

Did all the usual fault finding checks as in manual but instead of firing within 5-10 seconds, it was taking as long as five minutes before flue fan started and then firing. Changed diaphragm, air pressure switch and overheat thermostat - still not firing quickly. Began to think the recent strong winds had displaced flue ( bungalow roof mounted) resulting in a pressure problem but inspection showed it to be ok. Then the penny dropped! There are 2 diaphragms on this combi and as it is probably seven years old they both needed changing. Felt smug and smart that I had found problem and fitted new pressure differential diaphragm.
The old one looked shabby but it was not perforated which slightly surprised me as it contradicted my fault diagnosis. And guess what? No difference in response. Stripped it out again , and lo and behold, beneath the diaphragm is a circular plate with a central hole for the pressurised water to pass and push the diaphragm. Needless to say this was blocked and was quickly cleaned with a needle. The diaphragm now pushes the rod to activate the microswitch as soon as the system demands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back