no hot water, but CH fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have a Potterton Performa Combi 24. Up until recently both HW and CH were fine. I then started noticing that on turning on a HW tap it would take an increasingly long time for the boiler to fire up and produce HW. Now it has got to the point where the boiler NEVER fires up when HW tap is turned on. The result: only cold water comes out of the tap. However, CH is excellent. Looking at the pressure dial, i've noticed that pressure's always fairly high, about 3bar.

Do i need a new boiler or is this sth fairly simple to fix?

Many thanks!
OP

Sponsored Links
thanks. i've taken a look thru FAQs but i cannot figure out how much work this entails. I have virtually no experience of boilers myself, so is this sth i am better off getting an expert in to do? If so, how much should i expect to pay?

At this point i'm also wondering whether it might be worthwhile getting a more powerful (new) boiler as even when it was working properly, i felt the Potterton 24 took rather long (about a minute) to heat the water. Would this time to heat (and flow rate) improve significantly if i got a new boiler?

Thanks again.

thanks. i've taken a look thru FAQs but i cannot figure out how much work this entails. I have virtually no experience of boilers myself, so is this sth i am better off getting an expert in to do? If so, how much should i expect to pay?

At this point i'm also wondering whether it might be worthwhile getting a more powerful (new) boiler as even when it was working properly, i felt the Potterton 24 took rather long (about a minute) to heat the water. Would this time to heat (and flow rate) improve significantly if i got a new boiler?

Thanks again.

Always better to go with a newer Condensing boiler and yes you can get 1 which will give you a much better flow rate assuming your mains water is up to it !!

Sponsored Links
thanks. any suggestions as to which one to go for? for info, i have a 3-bed split-level flat with open-plan ground floor and one bathroom. as far as central heating is concerned the potterton is sufficient, but i would like a much improved HW flow rate. Water pressure is v good, so i assume the mains supply is up to it.

ps: how much would changing the diaphragm in my current potterton cost?

Im a Worcester Bosch fan myself but others will have their preference im sure..
The 28 junior Greenstar will be enough but the 30CDI Greenstar even better but depends on how much you wanna spend..

I wouldnt like to quote prices TBH .. ahh sod it ,, Id charge approx 200 with the part..

37 or 42 CDI is even better than the the 30 CDI with hot water flow rates of 15.2 and 17 liters per minute respectively however the 42 CDI may require a gas supply upgrade indeed even your current boiler might not have the correct gas supply.

These boilers are not cheap though (approx £1100 and £1250) but I like them too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back