How to replace double glazed unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I recently broke a window pane in the house and I'm looking to replace it.
The problem is that the upvc frames are old and I'm unsure on how to remove the beads.
I've added some pics so show the frame. If anyone could let me know how these can be removed that'd be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they are old then the beads will be on the outside of the frame. Show us a pic of the outside.

Beaded Outside definatly...looks like wedge gasket too. You'll need to pull the internal gasket out ( if its wedge it will flick up with a flat bladed screwdriver ) , and then the unit should slide back allowing the beads to be taken off outside.

It may be security tape ( but doesn't look it) in which case take the beads out ( exteranlly ) and use a paint scraper to wedge the unit out , you will probably need new tape to put it back in.

In both cases BE CAREFUL....you have broken glass and if your hand slips it will likely hurt!

Sponsored Links
If its wedge gasket do like Ronnie says, however if it's on glazing tape then before touching the beads outside cut through the tape with a Stanley knife, the glass will come out now once beads removed but you'll need a roll of replacement tape and it needs to be the right thickness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back