How to replace freezer compartment door handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Kuppersbusch integrated fridge freezer (I believe Kuppersbusch shares many parts with Electrolux and AEG machines). The model number is 923 840 736.

I need to replace the door handle to the freezer (evaporator?) compartment and an online supplier 4ourhouse.co.uk can supply a replacement - part number 19930560H - but cannot supply any fitting instructions and I cannot figure out how to remove the old handle and fit the new one. Can anyone help please?

Some years ago I did manage to remove the freezer compartment door and replace it but I cannot now figure out how I did that!

I think I will need to remove the freezer compartment door and to do so will need to remove at least one of the plastic hinges but there doesn't seem to be any screws that I can remove - it looks like the bottom small plastic hinge is just pressed into the body of the appliance and the top hinge is inaccessible. Do I try to prise out the bottom hinge?

If I am successful in removing the door how do I separate the door in such a way that I can replace the handle?

Thank you

Freezer Door.jpg Top hinge.jpg Bottom hinge.jpg Door Handle.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

In your third photo, there appears to be a small cover piece on the door, above the hinge.
If this is pried off, does it reveal anything?

You were on the right track. There's a tiny, recessed, button that has to be pressed in under the bottom hinge then the door can be removed.

Now I need to figure out how to separate the door so that I can fit the replcaement handle. The door is a typical construction - two plastic outer sections sandwiching a polystyrene insulation filling. I think they probably just press together but taking them apart may be tricky as the clipping bits may break.

Any thoughts?

Well done! (y)

If there are any features worthy of note, post some more pics!

Does anything appear in the recess, when you pull the handle open?

Otherwise just go around the outside with a 'spudger' (something like a guitar pick, or the edge of a palette knife), and see if anything unclips.

Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Started to remove the door seal but can't see any obvious way of 'splitting' the door. Will try to contact electrolux who are/were the manufacturer's of Kuppersbusch.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

I don't think so. I'm trying to replace just the handle as it's obviously cheaper that replacing the whole door but some years ago I did actually replace the door, which came complete with the handle. Although the website 4ourhouse.co.uk claim to have identified the replacement part I'm not convinced they have found the correct bit as from what I can see the handle hinges are moulded into the door but I can't be sure of that unless I disassemble it. A bit of a Catch 22 situation?

The door itself is damaged but fortunately I can get a replacement.

Thanks for feedback

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back