How to replaster round a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope you can share some advise or tips how to approach my recent discovery, it seems that the window fitter in the past have not done a correct job or someone please explain to me what has happened here. The wall is not damp it's actually dry but it seems the plaster is not sticking to the original wall the way it should.

Any tips are highly appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
It looks to me as though the plaster is stuck directly to the external skin of brickwork (hard to be sure from images though)

Ideally it needs reveal stripping and a vertical dpc fitted which goes in the cavity return our towards the window then folds across in front of the window. plaster then cut off excess showing by window

You will struggle to do without damaging wallpaper though.

the dwarf wall below the bay really needs stripping and insulating to be any good -or wallpaper might suffer damp.

It looks to me as though the plaster is stuck directly to the external skin of brickwork (hard to be sure from images though)

Ideally it needs reveal stripping and a vertical dpc fitted which goes in the cavity return our towards the window then folds across in front of the window. plaster then cut off excess showing by window

You will struggle to do without damaging wallpaper though.

the dwarf wall below the bay really needs stripping and insulating to be any good -or wallpaper might suffer damp.

Yes, I am not an expert but even I know that you should not plaster on the external brickwork without any form of insulation. Thank you for your tip, I will do exactly what you suggested :

Striping off the rest of the loose plastering and will fitt vertical dpc...I am doing this the first time but maybe I can find some youtube videos and if I can't do it I can still ask an profi to do it. The dwarf wall below needs to be done once its a tiny bit warmer as I need to remove the radiator and 100% sure it needs insulation. I am quite surprised that this has not been done before properly but we have just recently purchased the house so have not seen that earlier.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion, highly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back