How to reset tamper light on Veritas keypad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this seems like a mundane question, but we have an Texecom alarm system that was installed when the house was built (about 16 years ago), and we moved in nearly two years ago.

We had a problem with the alarm triggering shortly after we moved in, which a friend suggested was down to the battery not having been replaced, so I replaced the battery and the problem was sorted, but the tamper light came on solid on the Veritas panel, and has remained on ever since.

This weekend, I knocked the alarm box in the understairs cupboard, and about two hours later, the internal sounder triggered. It turned off when I entered the code, but triggered again a couple of hours later. So it didn't disturb us during the night, I disconnected the mains power and the battery.

I've reconnected everything this morning and am waiting to see if the sounder goes off again, but in the meantime, the tamper light is still on solid.

I've done the checks recommended elsewhere on the site:
Enter engineer's code, press 19 then there are nine bleeps. Press the omit key, and the zone 3 light shows, so it is lid tamper, panel lid or keypad lid.

Everything is reconnected, and our two Veritas panels are in good condition. How do I reset the tamper light?

On a side note, although I have the installation manuals, I have no idea of which parts of the house were put into each zone, so I can't, for example, disable the kitchen sensors so that the dogs don't trigger the alarm. Is there a way of finding out which sensors are in which zone? I'm not even sure if our doors and windows have sensors - there is nothing visibly obvious, though as the alarm was installed when the house was built, this may be because they were well hidden during construction?

Sponsored Links
Have you pressed “reset” after the code? If tamper is still not clearing then there is a fault and it needs to be resolved before the light will go out. Could be the Control Panel lid is not on property after the battery change. Failing that your going to need a multimeter and take apart the tamper circuit wiring and testing for continuity on each tamper pair on each circuit. Battery should be less than 3/4years old and must be charging around 12/13v once again your need a meter to test this to rule out a battery fault.

I presume you mean after the alarm code, and if so, yes - but it doesn't clear. I've had the cover off the control panel a couple of times since the battery charge (and when you take it off, it makes one heck of a noise!), so I think I have replaced that correctly, unless there is a nack that I am missing? Battery is less than two years old.

I'm not confident enough to start fiddling with multimeters, so I suspect that I may need expert help, especially as I have no clue which zones on the system relate to which parts of the house, but I am very grateful that you took the time to answer!

Yeah sounds like the Tamper fault is on one of the circuits not the lid then. Most likely a damaged cable somewhere but it could be as simple as a dislodged cover on a sensor or keypad. Worth having a check around first.

Sponsored Links
I've got one keypad that is now surplus to requirements - it used to be in the garage, but the garage was converted into an office with no external access. As an absolute novice, is getting rid of that something I can do, or does it need an expert? It sits on top of my consumer unit (not fastened onto the wall since we had the walls plastered) but is behind a desk, so is not disturbed.

Is this the cause of your tamper fault I wonder? To disconnect properly you need to identify the cable for this keypad in the main control panel and unwire it, hopefully the cables are marked up but if not you’ll have to guess which keypad is which and disconnect the correct one.

I am also facing similar issue, yesterday I replaced battery by opening front cover. While closing front cover it made bit humming sound (still does if I press cover) but since then red alarm tamper light is on and am not able to set alarm. Help needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back