How to seal around old soil pipe on asbestos corrugated roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to seal around an old metal soil pipe which passes through a cement-asbestos corrugated roof?

It appears cement was once used.

Is cement the best way, or is there a suitable sealant which can be applied with a gun?

Not looking for any drastic changes to the roof.

Just want a relatively easy repair which will not crack and last a fairly long time.

Appearance not very important.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Carefully, those sheets can be a bit fragile.
Depends how big the gap between pipe & sheet is. If its only a few millimetres (up to 10 really) I'd be tempted to bodge a temporary seal from inside (gaffer tape would work) then build up a bead of black silicon round it from the outside.
More than 10, Flashband probably.

The pipe has a square plate round it on the INSIDE which is bolted through the roof.

Rain runs over the top of this plate INSIDE.

So I think I need to do the repair OUTSIDE, which isn't very hard to access as near the edge of the building.

I was thinking of applying a sealant around the pipe.

What is the VERY BEST sealant to use, which adheres to the asbestos-cement roof, and should last a long time??

Geocel Trade Roofers Mate seems to have very good reviews, does this sound like the stuff to use?

Sponsored Links
a lot of products will not adhere for long.
You could try acrypol applied externally extend well past the immediate area up under the sheet above or flashing if there is one

You can buy fibreglass matting tape for it if the gaps are larger than say 7mm

Nah, fibreglass tape like that isn't self adhesive, you need to apply it in combination with polyester resin. I think the resin will bond to your assie cement roof, it'll definitely bond to the metal. GRP is tricky over outside corners (eg the edge of a sheet of ply) but is fine on inside corners (eg your roof to the flue)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back