How to secure new joists in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install bigger joists in my new build garage so I can board it out.

The existing joists are resting on a piece of 2x3" wood running the length of the brickwork, so should I rest the new joist on this? and if so how should I secure them to avoid twisting?

Or should i use a joist hanger and should I use a timber-timber or timber-masonry one as i have both to attach to?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sitting them on the wall plate should suffice as the only load is from the plasterboard.

Metal connectors are available to hold in place or just fix them to the existing. But the plasterboard will probably hold them plus a binder along the middle at right angles to new joists

Blup

Sitting them on the wall plate should suffice as the only load is from the plasterboard.

Metal connectors are available to hold in place or just fix them to the existing. But the plasterboard will probably hold them plus a binder along the middle at right angles to new joists

Blup

Thanks Blup - I won't be putting any plasterboard up as its just for storage so I'm not sure if my explanation was clear? I'll just be putting chipboard flooring down screwed to the new joists which will be higher than the existing ones. I am planning to add a noggin in the middle (span is 2.75m and new joists are 45mm x 170mm)

Sponsored Links
I want to install bigger joists in my new build garage so I can board it out.

The existing joists are resting on a piece of 2x3" wood running the length of the brickwork, so should I rest the new joist on this? and if so how should I secure them to avoid twisting?

Or should i use a joist hanger and should I use a timber-timber or timber-masonry one as i have both to attach to?

Thanks

You could tosh nail or screw the new joists to the wall plate. You could stick noggins in to stop twisting as well, give you more to fix your flooring to as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back