How to set up a circuit to have 3 switches control 1 light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there guys,
I am having a small problem finding out if it is possible to have 3 switches control a series a down lights in a hall way with dimming.
I need 1 switch at the front door, 1 switch in the middle where the 2nd bedroom is, and a 3rd switch at the end of the hall where it leads to the living room.
I know that you can't have 3 dimmers, and I know you can have 2 switches and a intermediate switch. But can you have it so that one of the 2 way switches is a dimmer switch?

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Yes, have your dimmer as one of your 2ways, will work fine. Make sure you use a deep box ideally 47mm.

Hi there guys,
I am having a small problem finding out if it is possible to have 3 switches control a series a down lights in a hall way with dimming.
It is, and you can have it work in one of two ways - a daft one and a sensible one.

I know that you can't have 3 dimmers,
You can't have more than one actual dimmer, but you can have as many switches which control the dimming as you like if you use master/slave units.

But can you have it so that one of the 2 way switches is a dimmer switch?
Yes, but that's the daft way, because it means that if you turn the light on at either of the other two switches the brightness will be whatever the dimmer switch is set to, and if that's not right you'll have to go to the dimmer switch to change it.

The sensible solution is to use a master dimmer and two slaves.

The sensible solution is to use a master dimmer and two slaves.

Can you get an intermediate slave dimmer? I haven't seen one before.

I would not normally fit dimmers in a hall though, it needs to be bright enough to safely walk through at all times, so light it appropriately for that.

Sponsored Links
I guess you could leave them on 60-75% most of the time for safety and turn them up to max when your trying to find something!

Can't say I need mine on 100% most of the time.

Could be useful for a night light for kids or guests.

or not such a shock to wake yourself up with 100% in winter

Can you get an intermediate slave dimmer?
There's no difference between slaves, or how they work. You have 1 master and n slaves which are all in parallel. The master always does the actual dimming - the slaves just signal it to tell it what to do.

Thank you guys.
To be honest the only reason I have dimmers was because the shop had a 60% discount on really nice switches but the offer did not include rockers which would have looked better.
And so all my switches are dimmer switches even if I swap the mojo with push ones.
Again thank you for your advice, I will have the intermediate at the door to turn on, push one at the guest bedroom and the dimmer at the living room.
I think that will solve the problem.

Cheers again.

And so all my switches are dimmer switches even if I swap the mojo with push ones. ... Again thank you for your advice, I will have the intermediate at the door to turn on, push one at the guest bedroom and the dimmer at the living room. I think that will solve the problem.
I'm not totally clear about what you're saying here. Will the intermediate and 'push one' be ordinary switches, with the only dimmer being the one at the living room?

If so, as has been said before, do you realise that would mean that if the dimmer were turned down very low, anyone 'switching on' with either of the other switches would get very little light?

Kind Regards, John

Yep that's fine, when comin from the front door you just want any light, the only time the one at the guest bedroom would be used is if a visitor is going to bed. But most of the control would be done at the living room side. To access toilet and kitchen.

Thanks for all the help I now know there is more than one way to skin a cat

Yep that's fine, when comin from the front door you just want any light ...
Fair enough - so long as you understand that the 'any light' might be 'virtually no light' if some kind person had turned the dimmer 'right down'.
Thanks for all the help I now know there is more than one way to skin a cat
There nearly always is! ... and you're welcome.

Kind Regards, John

It's worth noting the very vast majority of intermediate switches are 1 gang only, so plan your wiring so your intermediate doesn't share a switch position with another switch, such as outside light switch, or landing light switch.

It's worth noting the very vast majority of intermediate switches are 1 gang only, so plan your wiring so your intermediate doesn't share a switch position with another switch, such as outside light switch, or landing light switch.
I must say that I don't recall ever having had a need for one (other than by using grid modules) but there seems to be plenty of 2-gang (and probably also some 3-gang) intermediate switches around (just ask Mr Google) - and you don't have to look any further than TLC for starters (click here)

Kind Regards, John

I've not seen many. The link shows a discontinued range by Contactum. Always best to plan your wiring so the intermediate is a stand alone switch, as you may not get the right accessory in your chosen design, and grid won't offer a perfect match either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back