How to shut off mains water in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to turn off my mains water. I presume this is the valve im looking for. Shall i use a wrench to shut the valve or buy something? *help* :)

IMG_20160617_165034.jpg

Sponsored Links
Might be easier to use the external stopcock - assuming you know where it is!

Now would be a good time to find it - rather than at 3 am on a winter's night when you've got a burst pipe and no way of shutting the water off. Usually on the property boundary/pavement.

A head off a stopcock MAY fit your existing stopcock http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-stop-cock/31490 - but it may well be seized if it hasn't turned for quite some time. You might have to enlarge the cut-out sections of the cabinet to allow you to turn the handle. Next job, find and soundly beat the muppet who took the handle off the internal stopcock!

Sponsored Links
Why not get a socket that fits the valve spindle & use a ratchet to turn it off/on?? Of course if you plan to live in the gaff for some time, cut the kitchen base unit & fit the correct handle. As others have said; know that your external stopcock in the street is working too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back