how to sit a steel on a corner?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to have a wall taken out and a steel put in but the steel would end up on what is now a corner and would then be the end of a wall so the pad stone could not go 150mm either side.

the wall to be taken out supports the floor joists above where they meet.

the wall on the left is the one coming out and the gap will go all the wal to the short one the runs up the picture so the steel would be on the end of the wall. at the moment there is a doorway hard up against the wall anyway so it must have a lintle or something that rests on the end of the middle wall

what do i need to do so that the steel can rest on something? i was told the it would just need a pier putting in on the side that needs the support but how far down does that need to go? i've got chip board flooring and dont know whats under it
any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Any steel/pier will need a proper foundation pad underneath it. Best get that chip floor up and get digging!

how deep would that need to go??

is there any way of getting around putting a pad stone in on the end of the wall?

Thick steel plate can be used in place of a padstone. If you are affixing beam to post, then a padstone probably won't be necessary, as the steel connection will take the load.

You'll need an engineer to work out loadings and concrete pad sizes.

Wait at the DIYnot bus stop and one should be along shortly. ;)

Sponsored Links
hmm interesting....

thanks for your help. i think i'll take your advice and get an engineer in

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back