How to skim a long wall and ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to skim a large room.
I presume that experienced plasterers' would be able to skim each wall in one go, but would I be able to divide a long wall into sections to make the job easier?
Would I use straight beading to divide the wall?
Two of my walls are 20ft long, what distance would I space the beading?
Am I also able to you the beading on the ceiling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

olneys

Sponsored Links
You can buy stop beads from B&Q etc but it will not look good. Practice on small walls you will be surprised at what you can achieve. On the large wall you can throw the 2 coats on it does not have to be pritty. Its the third trowel that is vital that you hit it at the right time which is when you put your fingers to the wet plaster and it barely leaves an inprint.

agree with brist, forget the beads, it will look a right pigs ear!

on very large ceilings, we have in the past, had to have a join. it is best to stagger the coats so that the join is stepped. this makes it easier to grind in the join later on, when you apply skim to the other half of the ceiling.

I hope you've got some plastering experience or you'll make a right pigs ear of it.

Sponsored Links
Everyone thinks they can plaster, but without experience, they can't. Best advice he's been given yet.

A couple of years ago I had the task of plastering the back wall of our new conservatory; 5m wide & 3.5 m high at the apex (total around 16 sq/m) but I had only worked on smaller walls, mostly less than 10 sq/m & without the access problems! I was much slower then & far less confident I could hit it in one go so I plastered the wall in 3 sections using a full height stop bead (reversed) to plaster up to. After finishing the fist section, I repositioned the bead, re-mixed & carried on with the next section, completing the whole wall in about 3 hours.

It turned out really well, you can’t see the join & it hasn’t cracked open after 2 years. Nowadays I could do it in one hit (just done a stair well which was even more challenging) but if you’re a beginner working on your own, using a stop bead can work out well as long as you complete the whole wall in one hit.

On this occasion though, I would agree with joe; plastering is unlike anything you will ever have tried before & you really need some experience before tackling a wall that size, it’s not one to cut your teeth on!

excuse me thats not spam, thats information relating to this topic, if it was spam then I would be blasting the forum with url's

This is a 24 page Ebook teaching you the basics on plastering, I thought it would be useful on this forum

Hi, the link didn't work for me. Is the website down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back