How to sleave mixed old and new wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm adding a new light and switch in a bedroom to existing 1.5mm red and black lighting circuit with plenty of spare capacity. A new 4-way junction box will have both red and black T&E and blue and brown T&E plus earths.

Do I sleave the new switched live blue wire with brown or red sleaving? Can you still buy red sleaving?

I'll put a sticker on top saying mixed wiring schemes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't believe it is defined (but not 100% sure on that) - given your new switched live is in new colours (i.e. blue), then i'd go for brown sleeving - i.e. be consistent with the actual cable you're using...

I'm fairly sure in terms of stickers, the only requirement is to have one on your consumer unit - it's not a bad idea to put one on the junction box as well, but make sure there is one on the CU, as I'm fairly sure this is required in the regs...

Yo - go for consistency with the cable, so for harmonised sleeve it brown, but if there's sleeving missing on the old cable, use red.

And yes, sticker needed on CU.

PLAN B - use old colour cable and avoid all these problems...

[PLAN B - use old colour cable and avoid all these problems...[/quote]

Thanks both - where can I buy old cable for reasonable cost - I thought it was banned?

A guy on ebay wants £15 for 10m of old three-core+earth plus £10 P&P !

Think I'll use blue and brown and a 90p B&Q yellow sticker !

Sponsored Links
[PLAN B - use old colour cable and avoid all these problems...

You should not use the old colours... The idea is to mark the S/L so it will not be confused with the neutral; red or brown, I think, will be fine as long it is marked.

It is not complicated to put a sticker on the CU.

You should not use the old colours...

If an installation comprises fully of red and black conductors and you choose to add to or alter an existing circuit with pre-harmonised twin and earth I wouldn't have though you would have a problem as long as the deviation is noted on the MWC or EIC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back