Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any difference between the red and black 1.5mm T&E and the blue and brown T&E. Also should there be yellow and green casing around the bare earth wire or doesnt this matter.

Sponsored Links
I bought a separate roll of earth sheathing, as the earth wire is always bare. I have loads left, and only needed to buy one roll. As I cut off the amount of sheathing required and insert over bare earth wire.

I wonder if this is deliberate, and works as added protection, incase the red or black sheathing cracks!

Bear in mind however, that I'm not a qualified sparks, so I will hobble back to my corner now. Hobble hobble!

Bazdaa

s.waring3578 said:
Is there any difference between the red and black 1.5mm T&E and the blue and brown T&E.
Yes. The colours are different. From April 2006 onwards use of the old colours will no longer conform to the wiring regulations.

Also should there be yellow and green casing around the bare earth wire or doesnt this matter.
Yes it matters - always use sleeving.

I wonder if this is deliberate,
no, the design of t+e that we have been using for decades has been manufactured with a fundemantal flaw BY MISTAKE for decades :eek: <sarcasm>

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
I wonder if this is deliberate,
no, the design of t+e that we have been using for decades has been manufactured with a fundemantal flaw BY MISTAKE for decades :eek: <sarcasm>

Are you serious? Does this also not make the cable safer?

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:

Bazdaa
no i'm not serious, i was simply wondering why you were doubting the design of T+E ("i wonder if this is deliberate") - of course its deliberate, its been designed like that for decades. :LOL: There must be a reason the earth is left exposed. Personally, i dont know the reason, but i'm sure the qualified sparks on here will inform us! ;)

Well while we wait for one of those, here's my 2p:

1) It keeps the cost down, and makes cables smaller & lighter.

2) It reduces the distance between the phase conductors and the cpc, so that anything penetrating the cable is more likely to hit both.

The reason, of course, is that it is bare so that sleeving manufacturers can make a mint out of providing a suitable product to "dress" the cpc......

crafty1289 said:
Bazdaa said:

Bazdaa
no i'm not serious, i was simply wondering why you were doubting the design of T+E ("i wonder if this is deliberate") - of course its deliberate, its been designed like that for decades. :LOL: There must be a reason the earth is left exposed. Personally, i dont know the reason, but i'm sure the qualified sparks on here will inform us! ;)

My bad, I should have said why is this cable bare. Got to say you got me though.

Bazdaa

I thought it was for stripping the cable, either use it as a knife guide, or use it as a rip cord

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back