How to solve leaking bathroom tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I have a leaking bathroom tap, heres a pic, including where its leaking from as you can see drip.

Anyone any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Attachments

• leaking tap.jpg
    leaking tap.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 265
Sponsored Links
those on/off levers are quarter-turn, I presume?

Then they have ceramic disc cartridges in them (not tap washers). With luck, it will be possible to find one that fits. If it is an unbranded import, maybe not.

There is a good range at Lunns.
https://shop.lunns.net/tap-spares-8-c.asp

You might be lucky and find your local DIY shed has ones that fit. You'll need to take out the old, measure, and count the splines.

Yes quarter turn. Thank you.

Does the mains water need to be turned off? Looking for a video on gow to do it now

Sponsored Links
Thank you all, does the water mains need to be turned off? My water mains are in my loft and a right hassel to get to, hope not.

No, just all the water in the cold water storage tank in the loft, if you have one.

Andy

I know the last time I had someone in who changed the boiler, they looked under kitchen sink to turn water off, but there was none so they had to go into loft to do it, only other option was in the street.

To change the tap, do you think this can be done by someone (myself) who is has very DIY ability or best get a plumber in? I did ask a plumber and he said he would need to know the exact of faucet to replace it like for like? is that true?

Is there anyway to fix it without having to turn off the water supply?

Last edited:
Get a plumber to install a new stopcock in your house and repair the tap at the same time, there is no way to fix your tap without turning the water off.

Thanks, could we have a new stopcock put in the bathroom maybe?
Spoke with a plumber and he said
"I wouldn’t waste time or money trying to repair it, I think it would be more cost effective to replace the whole mixer tap."

But he said he may have to remove bath panel? Is this correct? And no way to do it without removing bath panel?

If your not too worried about how your taps look a tap reviver kit would sort out the drip without having to remove the bath panel, you will still need to have a stopcock fitted.

Thanks, I have been quoted £190 for supply and fit of new bath mixer tap, remove and replace and reseal bath panel, labour and VAT. Do you think thats fair?

Thanks, I have been quoted £190 for supply and fit of new bath mixer tap, remove and replace and reseal bath panel, labour and VAT. Do you think thats fair?

Really hard to comment on prices but, on the face of it, it doesn't sound unreasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back