How to spec out scaffolding requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of doing some work on the gable wall of our house and would need scaffolding installed. Set back ~30cm (is that gap allowed?), from the part of the wall to be worked on.
This would be to allow some repairs to cracks in the render of the wall, some repainting, and then installation of fibre cement cladding at the gable.

Is there any good way to describe these requirements to a scaffolding company so that it is put up correctly the first time?
I've made a diagram of what I want - is this likely to be clear enough?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Scaffolding requirements.png
    Scaffolding requirements.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
180 headroom on the lower lift might be a problem - even if you're 180cm tall you also have to add your shoe soles and your movement as you take a step.
Also the bottom ladder you might want to run off a small first lift, then have a removable ladder for security reasons.
Worth asking for suitable hatches/gates to avoid falls from the access.

For a small job like that I couldn't get quotes from "proper" companies, I had to go to checktrade and get the self employed type of companies who were keen for the job.

Sponsored Links
You can get extendable transoms so you can move the boards & scaffold poles out of the way as the cladding goes on, else they'll probably want to put an internal rail on.

As the cladding work will interfere with tying the scaffolding to the building they may need to get a design and use rakers. Alternatively a ladder tower to stabilise the scaffold is an option - this would give you more space on the working platform itself.

The diagram and a clear description of the usage of the scaffold should be enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back