How to stop bushes, weeds and scrubs poking through fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the back of my garden there are a lot of overgrown shrubs and tree. I trim these back but they just come back stronger. They poke through my fence and at the bottom too.

Any suggestions how to stop this? I have to have gaps in my fence as that's what it's like all round my garden.

Sponsored Links
scotts-roundup-gc.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you know who owns the land you could try approaching them about it. Otherwise you only have two options - keep cutting back to the boundary when the plants protrude into your garden or put up a solid barrier.

What solid barrier would you use?

Just to be clear... This isn't someone's garden that is on the other side. It's waste land.

I'm not here to debate it's ownership!!! I was here to get advice on how to tackle weeds through my fence.

then spray glyphosate onto the offending plants. RoundUp is just a brand name, sold at a higher price than own-brand glyphosate you will find in DIY sheds, supermarkets and hardware stores such as Wilkinsons.

Although you spray it on the leaves, it is translocated to the roots, which it kills, resulting in the death of the plant. This is why it is not very fast-acting.

SBK is very good for killing scrub. It does not kill grass, so it will not leave a dead patch behind, and is quite useful on boundaries.

Ceres might possibly be right, though I would have thought it very much more likely that the owner of the land, if he ever turned up, would have to ask you not to do it again, and possibly take you to court for a civil remedy, such as demanding you reimburse him the value of his weeds. I do not think this is likely. If you are anxious you might start by treating the foliage that is on your side of the fence.

It would be interesting to know if, in the last 50 years, anybody has been prosecuted for killing weeds spreading from adjoining uncultivated land.

Killing crops, or cultivated plants in a neighbour's garden would be different.

The offence is nothing to do with killing plants whether they're weeds or otherwise. The offence is misuse of a pesticide. It's a criminal, not a civil matter.

I'm constantly amazed at the double standards on the forum. If anyone so much as thinks about doing something electrical not in compliance with Part P or messing with a gas appliance, they're hung out to dry. But encouraging criminal actions in the garden is fine. The laws are there for the same reasons - to protect people, property and the environment. :confused:

The offence is nothing to do with killing plants whether they're weeds or otherwise. The offence is misuse of a pesticide. It's a criminal, not a civil matter.

I'm constantly amazed at the double standards on the forum. If anyone so much as thinks about doing something electrical not in compliance with Part P or messing with a gas appliance, they're hung out to dry. But encouraging criminal actions in the garden is fine. The laws are there for the same reasons - to protect people, property and the environment. :confused:

If u have something constructive to post fair enough. But u don't. So please don't post on this topic. I have already stated cutting back or killing weeds isn't a problem on this bit of land!!

End of!

If the plants are on waste land, take your fence panel out, cut them back as far as you want then sprays loads of weed killer over everything. I get my glyphosate from a local allotment £2 for 200ml

robbieee said:
If u have something constructive to post fair enough. But u don't. So please don't post on this topic. I have already stated cutting back or killing weeds isn't a problem on this bit of land!!

End of!

End of nothing. It was suggested to you that you use weedkiller and you followed up by asking if it would be effective on particular types of plants. As part of that exchange, I explained that using weedkiller on someone else's land is a criminal act. If someone suggested a course of action to me and someone else explained that it's illegal, I'd be grateful for the heads up.

Unless you have the permission of the owner of the land, cutting back or killing weeds is a problem. I'm not sure why you're here asking the question since you already seem to have decided what you intend doing.

And, just for the record :D , I suggested a barrier solution and approaching the owner of the land. All of the above are constructive, so enough already with the attitude. There are other constructive and legal options, but hey, you want to use weedkiller so fill your boots!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back