How to Stop Kitchen Cupboard Opening too Far

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A kitchen cupboard door is opening too far and bashing into the oven door handle, I can see that eventually if nothing is done about it the oven door handle will break off. Any advice about hiw to fix this? Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_102232.jpg
    IMG_20181201_102232.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
It looks like you have a wide-opening hinge so the le Mans kidney shelves can come out fully.

Perhaps you could hinge the door on the other side so it is not in the way.

IIRC you will have some kind of pillar there for the le Mans pivot. If not, add one.

Now I look again I think it is a half-moon shelf not a le Mans.

So swap the hinges for ordinary ones and if necessary add a strap or door limiter. For today, a piece of string would do.

You can also add soft-close buffers to a standard hinge.

Yes, I think the shelves inside would be called half moon, they just rotate inside, so if the hinges went to a maximum of 180 degrees that would be perfect I think. Is there a specific name for that type of hinge?

Sponsored Links
You only want a 90° opening. I think the nearest is about 100°. I think the one you have got is a 170°.

You almost certainly have the standard ones on most of your other cabinets as they are cheaper, so you can swap them over.

Yours are most likely Blum. They are very widely sold. There may be a part number stamped on them. Blum have a website with diagrams of the whole range.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/security...sp=managedredirect-_-ironmongery-_-blumhinges

Fixed, thanks very much. Found some hinges laying around that were perfect, so no money spent either :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_132233.jpg
    IMG_20181201_132233.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 123

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back