How to stop pebbles falling into rainwater pipe work

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure what this orange part is called, but it is at the bottom of a downpipe, in the ground. From here the water flows underground into a soakaway. There is a black plastic grille to prevent things falling in.

I would like to put 20mm gravel in the area between the tiles and the wall. But I am worried that smaller stones will fall between the grille.

Is there something I can use to cover the grille, to prevent small stones from falling in?

Sponsored Links
A finer grill, perhaps a mesh.
OR build a barrier around the orange fitting.

Sponsored Links
Those barriers look great (although I wish the patio guy had told me about them before he started his work).

I might need to fashion my own barrier, as suggested.

My Daughters kiddies were putting stones down the drain, like this, so I cut to fit a piece alloy to fit the drain cover, shaped and managed to screw it down.
This was my original idea. But can I please ask where would I (a person not in the trade) find a piece of alloy? Sorry, hope you don't find that a stupid question!

Well you get the idea

images

If its a gulley with a trap on it the stones will just settle in the bottom of the trap and can be fished out by hand if need be now and again. Unless the pebbles have kamikaze tendencies you are not likely to get many pebbles down there. Also instead of pea gravel use 1/2" size pebbles around the edge of the grate

This was my original idea. But can I please ask where would I (a person not in the trade) find a piece of alloy? Sorry, hope you don't find that a stupid question!

I had some alloy pieces laying around shed used them, then sprayed with black gloss been there for two years no more problems with stones.

Attachments

• Drain Cover .JPG
    Drain Cover .JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 148

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back