How to stop tape pulling off free emulsion!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at my wits end! How can I stop making tape pulling off the new emulsion when I'm silicone-ing round windows etc. The paint is fully dry and in some cases weeks old. It was properly mist coated bare plaster and I've tried low tack tape. But it still comes off. Has anyone got any tips or can suggest a tape that doesn't do it?

Sponsored Links
I use frog tape. It is green

It seems pretty good. But it will depend on your wall finish.

If you are finding that low-tack tape is taking the paint off the wall (and it's weeks old), then there are probably adhesion problems with the paint, and you're on a hiding to nothing.

I'd avoid using the tape!

If it is an adhesion problem I'm not sure what I could have done differently. It was sanded, cleaned, mist coated 50:50, a couple of coats of contract matt and then trade vinyl matt top coat. It tends to pull the top coat of vinyl matt, but leaves the white contract matt.

Sponsored Links
There is a yellow frog tape for fresh paint. Also try sticking the 1" tape to a bit of waste paper to reduce the sticky bit to 1/4 inch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back