how to tackle issue with electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've had a rewire done recently and after the guy had left I realized that
the CU front cover had not been tightened properly and also blanks had not been fitted. Some of you will recall my previous post and pic on this subject.

We have tried to get the guy back but had the usual excuses such as I'm busy and my boiler has packed in etc etc but I will ring you as soon. Two phone calls so far have failed to nail him down to a date.

How much time should I allow for this guy to fix the problem?
After reading some of the other threads I note that some suggest to write a letter giving a date. I am in two minds about this, it would be very confrontational and I cannot see the benefit of issuing a threatening letter when I want the guy back to do some work on my house electrics!!!

We are going on holiday in a couple of weeks as well so this complicates things. He promied to sort ut out before we go and that he will ring us.
I am tempted to leave it till after the holiday if he does not ring us.
Is it safe to leave a CU for a few weeks without front "blanks"?

Any advice on how to deal with this tradesman would be appreciated.

ps: the guy is registered as competent person and was a reccommendation.

Sponsored Links
Well personally I'd be round sharpish if it were me, not because it's any danger but it's that recommendation thing.
Does make you wonder if he's expecting you to hit him with a list of complaints (what else could be wrong), hence the reason he's not forth coming with the callback.
But I'm sure it purely because he is busy, give him a call asking if he could call round one evening to do the cu & while there quote for a fictisous outside socket or something.

Well personally I'd be round sharpish if it were me, not because it's any danger

Do any regs insist on blanks being fitted on the spare space left in the CU?
Is it dangerous not to do so?

I'd like to know before I take a stronger approach.

Below is the reg and number.

Openings left in the front cover of a distribution board or consumer unit where circuit-breakers had not been installed in all the apertures and the resulting opening(s) have not been fitted with blanking pieces (non-compliance with Regulation 412-03-01).

Sponsored Links
Seems strange that the guy doesn't want to pop back and finish it off in about two minutes especially if he was a recommendation. You can't afford to lose that sort of business.

I'd go for a polite low key letter explaining that you've only taken to writing because you can't get hold of him. It may be that the guy has real problems - wife/child/parent with cancer or something he doesn't want to talk about. Explain exactly what you want and give him a time limit to carry out the works.

Without knowing what sort of CU its very likely that by leaving blanks out a bent finger would be able to touch live parts inside giving rise to danger. That said it'd only be with the front lid open as it provides some protection.

Has the guy provided you with any certificates for the work? He should have. He should also have provided the blanks as any failure to provide would mean that he shouldnt have provided a certificate as such an item is a failure that should be put right before the certificate is issued.

Time to go into print. Or pop down the wholesalers and get a couple of blanks - or a bag full on EBay for pennies - easy and safe to fit as a DIY item.

Seems strange that the guy doesn't want to pop back and finish it off in about two minutes especially if he was a recommendation. You can't afford to lose that sort of business.

I'd go for a polite low key letter explaining that you've only taken to writing because you can't get hold of him. It may be that the guy has real problems - wife/child/parent with cancer or something he doesn't want to talk about. Explain exactly what you want and give him a time limit to carry out the works.

Without knowing what sort of CU its very likely that by leaving blanks out a bent finger would be able to touch live parts inside giving rise to danger. That said it'd only be with the front lid open as it provides some protection.

Has the guy provided you with any certificates for the work? He should have. He should also have provided the blanks as any failure to provide would mean that he shouldnt have provided a certificate as such an item is a failure that should be put right before the certificate is issued.

Time to go into print. Or pop down the wholesalers and get a couple of blanks - or a bag full on EBay for pennies - easy and safe to fit as a DIY item.

Yep got certificate. He must be completely nuts to provide me with a certificate before closing the gaps in the CU.

I could do with an explanation of how to put these blanks.
The CU is a Wylex 12 way.

Makes me wonder what else the certificate may be not telling you.

The blanks just slot in - usually a straight push fit from the front with a springy plastic clip on the back of it to snap shut when pushed into the hole. They are sold singly or in bulk. Very straightforward to do.

Image below may help:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5544.html

On page 3 of your certificate you will see a section "Schedule of items tested"

If your sparks has ticked the box "Protection against direct contact by barriers or enclosures (provided during erection)" I would threaten to pursue it via his competent person scheme.

On page 3 of your certificate you will see a section "Schedule of items tested"

If your sparks has ticked the box "Protection against direct contact by barriers or enclosures (provided during erection)" I would threaten to pursue it via his competent person scheme.

I take your point but how productive is it to have someone who you have threatened with reporting to CPS back in your house?

I am not likely to use his services again.

How can I be sure he is not going to b.......r up the job more by having him back here?

If I go down the threatening route chances are thats not going to get me the job finished.

Might finish the job myself and then report him.

Makes me wonder what else the certificate may be not telling you.

The blanks just slot in - usually a straight push fit from the front with a springy plastic clip on the back of it to snap shut when pushed into the hole. They are sold singly or in bulk. Very straightforward to do.

Image below may help:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5544.html

Are these standard size for all CUs?

Thanks.

They should be standard for all CUs which use a DIN rail for mounting the MCBs. Which is most of them.

All CU manufacturers provide blanks - the design varies slightly but the principle is the same so some makes will fit other makes.

In your letter to the guy I'd ask him to explain why his certificate says one thing when the reality is something different.

Not blanking off unused ways in a consumer unit is dangerous and warrants a Code 1 defect on a Periodic Inspection Report. Not blanking off correctly (i.e. not with bits of cardboard) leaves a live busbar exposed. The consumer unit is intended for use by 'non-skilled' persons and as such cannot be left with exposed conductive parts which could easily be touched by a non-skilled person fumbling around to reset an RCD or mcb. This type of hazard could become more risky under the 17th Edition as all circuits will be protected by one of two RCDs in a typical 17th Edition double split load board - thus increasing the number of times a non-skilled person will have to gain access to the consumer unit.

If the electrician has indeed left a certificate, then you could complain to his relevant Scheme Operator, HSE, Trading Standards and also the local council's planning officer (for info purposes).

tell him the power tripped and you got a shock when you reset the mcb.
he will fly round :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back