How to turn an out building into a childs play house ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the back of the garden is a small outbuilding. It is old but looks and looks as though it has had the roof and chimney chopped off some years ago and a pitched felted roof put on. It appears weatherproof but there are some gaps such as between the door frame and the brickwork. Inside it is dirty, full of cobwebs and has a sort of simple barn door.

I would like to convert it to a play house for the kids whilst also leaving me some storage.

To my simple eye, plug the holes to keep the insects out, put some battens on the wall and build up a framework onto which I put plasterboard or maybe just chipboard (?). The ceiling could be suspended or even simpler just boarded up with chipboard like the walls. Seal the joints and paint or paper. Stick some skirting down and a carpet.

To put a door in, build the framework and buy a door kit and hang a new door. Done this from the framework before (though some time ago) so not too worried about this part.

The front door worries me but I guess I could treat it the same as an external door and buy a cheap weatherproof door, perhaps with a new door frame (?). Add a tread and it should be near bug proof.

Now I know the bugs will still get into the void behind whatever I do but this is just a cheap and simple thing for the kids.

If I wanted some electric, what would be the best way as some cable would have to travel outside, though I could bury it.

So have I overlooked anything ? All advice most welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The only sticky bit in your plan is the power. Will need swa, taping etc. but will need to be done by an electrician (or certify - part p etc)

Rest of it sounds fine. It's likely to be damp though, as no dpc so you almost certainly want to include ventilation in your plans somewhere if you don't fancy doing a dpc. A bug-screened vent or two in the door itself might save punching holes through the wall.

Good call on the damp. Not sure what I could do really but it would be a shame to get it ready only for it to be destroyed as soon as winter comes around.

Can't really get involved in structural stuff at this stage. Would some form of glorified plastic sheeting across the floors and up the walls a bit help ? Not my areas as you can see !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back