How to un-seize a seized shower tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again. I'm struggling to get a shower control plate away from the wall because the top shower tap has seized and I can't unscrew it. This sort of thing, except the quarter-turn taps are horizontal in the off position:

The screw-on cover plate thingy for the bottom tap will unscrew easily enough, but the top one appears to be totally seized, despite liberal application of WD-40, and I need to be able to unscrew it at least because the tap is loose and the screw is hiding behind it, and possibly also because I want to see what's going on behind the plate. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting it un-seized, please?

Sponsored Links
You can try wd 40 but probably have to drill it out, unless you can loosen it sufficiently first.

Oh dear, what a pain, but thanks. Am currently trying a new way of applying WD40, but am wondering if rigging up some sort of contraption with a yoghurt pot and some vinegar would actually work better. Depends on what's causing it to seize, I suppose.

I am not a plumber...

My crosswater valves can be replaced without having to remove the faceplate. The plate has o-rings on the reverse side to prevent water running behind it.

Sponsored Links
No, my main concern is to get the seized screw cap thingy off the top tap so that I can tighten the screw behind it. As well as potentially seeing whether anything untoward is happening behind the plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back