How to waterproof this connector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have got some 2mp hikvision cctv cameras to supplement some areas at the back of the house. It was a bargain (3 of them for £30), so I was OK with them not being POE / needing an additional 12v feed.

To the point.

The cameras have a waterproof ethernet connector jig, however, the 12v doesnt look like it would survive long unprotected.

Its the one plugged into the black cable.

How would you go about waterproofing this? Ideally, I'd like to put both connectors in a weather proof junction box and use grommets round the cables to make the box water tight.

However that would mean cutting these cables, which I'd prefer not to do.

I looked at the compression glands, however, to fit the plug through it would need a usable cable diamater of 3mm to 12mm (most support 6mm to 12mm). I guess I could use a larger one and bung the space with silicone but that feels wrong.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas?

20201005_164637.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is a watertight, stretch, rubberised tape (name?), which you can use for that.

[EDIT] that's it self amalgamating tape. You pull it hard to stretch it, which causes it to become very sticky. Wound tight enough, it becomes a solid rubber lump, which can only be cut off with a knife.

Sponsored Links
I've purchased some amalgamating tape (was £4).
Those deep bases look good, however, each costs more than the camera.
Thank you, as, this is the proper solution.

However, as I've managed to womble and cobble together a 6 cam night vision system, poe switch and nvr out of parts I owned, or was able to get for free, £30 on 3x hiks was my biggest spend.

The miser in me doesnt want to spend more on water proofing when £4 will do it.

I also use the fork in the sugar bowl...

Use a wiska / geweiss box and nick out a little bit of the bottom of the box where the lid meets the box to allow the cable to exit whilst still retaining a nice snug fit on the cable.

Are you sure their not PoE? The 12v DC is optional usually. For use where you have network which is not PoE.

As RF says. Or get the mounting back box to suit the camera.

Yes, no poe. The manual says there's 2 versions of the camera and poe support is the difference.
Theyre 2017 models from the budget range.
Thats why I got 3 for £30
First thing I did was plug into poe switch but no joy.
Plugged in 12v and was able to set it up

You can get an adaptor to provide 12v from the PoE.

That would mean using one of those useless 12V injectors though that stops you negoatiating 1 Gbps. They should be banned, with 802.3af/at etc used as standard.

That would mean using one of those useless 12V injectors though that stops you negoatiating 1 Gbps. They should be banned, with 802.3af/at etc used as standard
Although, a 2mp h264 is 4Mbps / mjpeg 12Mbps, so would be ok in this scenario.

Balanced though with me being steptoe, I have 12vdc adaptors, so, no need to spend £15 on poe splitters

Both good points though

That would mean using one of those useless 12V injectors though that stops you negoatiating 1 Gbps. They should be banned, with 802.3af/at etc used as standard.
And you really think those cameras need 1Gbps? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back