How to wire a new wall light up to old wiring system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wire up a new wall light. The instructions warn that the new fitting is "double insulated and not earthed...and any incoming earth cables must be joined together and well insulated with good quality insulation tape"

The current wiring system is old. An RCD system has been fitted. Here are some pictures of the old and new wring, with light fitting instructions.

Can anyone tell me how to wire up the new light to the existing wiring?

Thanks,
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG

Sponsored Links
Smile,

TURN OFF THE MAINS at the Consumer Unit (Fuse Box)

On your new lamp unscrew the brown and blue wires from the terminal block (which you will not use).

At the wall connection, screw the Brown lamp wire into the Red Wire side of the terminal block.

At the wall connection, screw the Blue Lamp Wire into the Black Wire side of the terminal block.

Leave the Yellow/Green Ground/earth wire as it is in the middle section of the terminal block. There is no connection from here to the lamp as the lamp is 'double insulated'.

LAMP >>>> WALL
------............-------
Brown >>>> Red
No Wire >>>> Green/Yellow
Blue >>>> Black
------............-------
SFK

Last edited:
Meant to add as well that I'm wiring up two wall lights beside each other. Same lights. Same, but separate, wiring at wall.

Sponsored Links
Smile,.
>> Yes, to confirm the Green Wire remains exactly as it is now <<
It meets the requirement of "incoming earth cables must be joined together and well insulated with good quality insulation tape" as it is mechanically held in place away from other wires and is covered with the correct earth coloured sleeve.

Also leaving it there means you can use it if you get a new lamp in the future that needs a ground.

My reading of "Same, but separate, wiring at wall" is ambiguous, so not happy to comment.

SFK

Thanks SFK,

Here's a picture of both sets of wiring coming from the wall. I have already posted a picture of the right hand side wiring. Here's a picture of the left hand side wiring. I've just noticed that the positions of the wires is a bit different between the two. e.g. the right hand side wall wiring's yellow/green wire is in the centre position in the plastic casing, whereas the wall's left hand side's yellow/green wire is not in the central position in the plastic casing.

Does that change anything in terms of how I should wire the new lamps in to the existing wall wiring or shall I just go ahead as suggested (remembering to turn the mains off (the red switch) first)?
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG

Smile,
My method above stands for both wall connections. ie make the colours of the wires connect as suggested on both sets of wires coming out of wall.
No issue the on Earth being in middle connector one terminal block and on the side connector the other terminal block.

My perfectionist side says that you should move the wires so both have earth in Middle, but to minimize change so there are less things to go wrong, leave them as they are.

Go ahead and wire the lamps up.
SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back