How to wire china-made plug to UK?

fc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just brought back a couple of lamps from Egypt (lamp fitting / wiring has made in China written all over it though) and want to change the plug to a UK one. Both wires are brown - one is thin and one is thicker -- how do I tell which is live and which is neutral? The plug is a two-pronged round european style plug, 2.5 A / 250 volts. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It might have a European-style plug, but it doesn't comply with the European standards, it should have a normal blue+brown colour coded cable. Both cores of the cable should be equally sized.

However, if it has a 2-pin European plug, it's not polarised anyway. European appliances are designed to operate safely regardless of polarity as the plugs/sockets can be connected either way.

It's not going to make a whole lot of difference which way the cables are connected as long as one is to N and one is to L.

The only thing I would say is if it's a screw-in bulb holder, it may not comply with European standards either the screw part of the bulb may be used as live, depending on which way the lamp's connected. European versions of these fittings have cover to prevent you coming into contact with any live parts.

You could probabally wire it to a UK plug in either polarity and use a 3A fuse. However, it's not compliant with European regs, so there's no way you could say it's totally safe either.

If it's a flat, moulded 2.5A Europlug and you haven't already cut it off. I'd suggest going to B&Q and buying a converter plug. These snap on over the 2.5A Europlug avoiding any wiring at all.

if it has a switch i'd do some testing to figure out which wire was being switched, if just one then use that one as live.

if no switch or double pole switch then if its a screw in lampholder i'd test with a multimeter to find out which one went to the center pin and connect that one to live.

finally if its got no switch or a double pole switch and a BC lampholder it really doesn't matter which way arround you connect it.

Thanks for the advice! It's a screw-in lamp holder and the wires can be visibly seen there. It's also a flat plug which i haven't yet removed so I may just get a converter plug and be done with it. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
fc said:
Thanks for the advice! It's a screw-in lamp holder and the wires can be visibly seen there. It's also a flat plug which i haven't yet removed so I may just get a converter plug and be done with it. Cheers.

Some of these imported bulb holders are extremely poorly made. Have you considered changing out the bulb holder for a good quality bayonent type holder. There is a range of "bottle lamp" bulb holders one of which may be suitable.

Another risk is the cable becoming brittle as the plasticiser in the " PVC " dries out .

Some of these imported bulb holders are extremely poorly made. Have you considered changing out the bulb holder for a good quality bayonent type holder.

Yes, that was another thought I'd had as it looks fairly easy to remove the whole bulb/ wire altogether. Thanks for the tip, I'll get myself down to B&Q.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back