Changing a Chinese flat two pin plug to uk use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I recently bought an art nouveau style lamp from an auction . I saw it had a two pin plug with flat prongs and assumed that I could just remove it and replace with a standard uk plug . I cut the end off and then realised that it’s only got two wires in the lead and neither is coloured . After cutting the plug off I realised there are some adapters available but still not sure if one is available for this . Please can anyone advise me
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there are no metal parts that need earthing, i.e. it’s Class 2 double insulated, and the conductors and fittings are suitable in size and condition, it should be fine. The cores will be for live and neutral and should really be coloured brown and blue (or red and black, if older). It is the copper wire that conducts the electricity not the colour of the insulation. So treat one as live and one as neutral when wiring the plug.

It would helpful to post a pic to a general idea of the condition of the lamp and wiring though.

Blup

Are you certain is only a plug and not a plug with a built in power convertor ( electronic transformer ) that supplies the lamp with a voltage that is lower than 230 V ?

Reactions: CBW
Hi Allisonkb

If the plug was only two flat prongs you will also need to check if the lamp can work up to 240V. It sounds like an American style plug and they are normally used up to 120V. You may destroy your lamp when plugged in.

Post pictures of the lamp and any labels available before you attach a British plug.

Regards,
Huggybear.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
China supplied Hong Kong when I was there and supply same as UK. But they used all sorts of plugs and sockets, a real mixture. So what does it say, pictures are good.

Hi Allisonkb

If the plug was only two flat prongs you will also need to check if the lamp can work up to 240V. It sounds like an American style plug and they are normally used up to 120V. You may destroy your lamp when plugged in.

Post pictures of the lamp and any labels available before you attach a British plug.

Regards,
Huggybear.

The chinese use flat blade two pins plugs as well.

Just wondering... if the cable is, for example, 0.5mm, and the appliance uses a bulb size that is compatible does it really matter if you stick to a 100w (incandescent 230v bulb) even if the lamp was designed for 120v- you are still only at 0.43 amps, which is lower than the amperage if it was 120v

Thanks everyone . Here’s the pictures

Attachments

• 36285D4B-EB9F-4A67-9B7E-616D058D87E4.jpeg
    36285D4B-EB9F-4A67-9B7E-616D058D87E4.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 829D4A3B-F4E5-49BD-9123-E981DD57439D.jpeg
    829D4A3B-F4E5-49BD-9123-E981DD57439D.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 152
If that is a screw in lamp bulb, then you must make sure that the live wire goes to the centre pin of the lamp holder, neutral to the threaded outer.

Lampholder rated for 110 volts, and that 'zip cord' style of flex isn't approved for use in the UK either.

It's an old USA item. If you want to use it in the UK, it will need to be rewired including a new lampholder.

Hi Allisonkb,

As we've seen the pictures now, it isn't suitable for use in the UK unless you rewire and change the lampholders.

Regards,
Huggybear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back