How to wire greenster 30si combi, siemens rwb30e controller and esi esrte2 room thermostat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me how to wire greenster 30si combi, siemens rwb30e controller and esi esrte2 room thermostat.
What cables would I need and to where, I need 3 core for room stat, is it 4 core for controller?
A basic drawing would be great.
At the moment we have a greenstar 30si combi connected to a Honeywell home controller. But I needed something simple for my dad as he gets confused. That's why I'm changing it. Any help would be grateful.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The wiring diagram is on page 29

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/Greenstar_25-30_Si_Mk2_Installation_and_Servicing_Instructions%20(1).pdf

I think I'm ok with the wiring now but on the programme timer and room stat they both have terminals for earths even though they're not on wiring diagrams, can I not use the earths and this means less core cable required. Thanks

Sponsored Links
But do I need to put an earth cable to room stat and controller as there is terminal for it. Or just not bother.
thanks

Both of those devices are double-insulated and so don't themselves require earthing (i.e. there is no danger of the casing being made live as a result of an internal fault) and thus if an earth terminal is present it'll serve merely as a parking terminal (somewhere to keep the stray earth wire out of the way!) or as a point to aid the provision of continuity of earthing across all the cables that enter and leave the devices. This latter use is not just helpful to provide earthing for downstream devices that may require it but also to provide protection against dangers arising from drilling/cutting into the cables themselves.

As it sounds like you're still to buy the cable then accommodate the earth in your core count - don't see it as a 'bother' - see it as a job well done (not to mention compliant with the regs which is the bottom line, but understanding the reasons behind them always helps!).

Last edited:
It's always good to have an earth wire present, even if the current accessory is double insulated and the wire is 'parked' out of the way. Not all accessories are double insulated and who knows what may replace it in the future. It's a no brainer to include it if you are installing a new wiring from scratch.

I've come across a few heating programmers that were installed without an earth connection, that their owners have later wanted to replace with a Nest Heat link that does.

Also, whilst the devices per-se are double insulated and don't need an earth connection, often they are mounted on metal back boxes that do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back