How to wire in my new ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just had my old gas hob removed and I wanted to wire in my new ceramic electric hob. It's no an induction just a standard one. I've tried putting a junction box on the end of the 30 cable the wiring my hob in the other end. This does provide electricity but will only allow me to have one ring on at a time. Can you please help? What have I done wrong? Is there anything else I should do instead?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean it only lets you have one ring on at a time ?
What do you mean by 30 cable ?

Is the protective device operating at the consumer unit ?
If so,what amperage is it and do you know what size the circuit cable is ?

And why do you want to use a fuel that costs 3x as much as gas ?

The old electricity connection to your gas hob was just a week weedy one that just provided a spark to light the gas.

Your new hob will need a LOT more current and possibly a circuit of its own.

It may be possible to share the circuit that powers the oven (if you have a separate circuit for this) but we would need a lot of technical information on
Your fuse board
The size of fuse
The size of cable
The power rating of the oven
The power rating of the hob.

Why did you not ask about this before ordering a new (and very different) appliance?

You'll probably need an electrician on site to have alook at what you have and to tell you how big a job it may be to connect up your hob.
Or you could return it and get a new gas hob.

Sponsored Links
I think you need to determine the design of the circuit you are using in comparison to the appliance.

Gas hobs only need a small current to ignite the burners.
So we require the following:
What :
*do the manufactures instruction say
* is the output of hob
*is the circuit type is this a radial or ring circuit and is it dedicate to the cooking appliances only
*is the cable size of circuit
*is the fuse/MCB/RCBO current rating at the fuse board/CU of this circuit

You can not simply hardwire an electric appliances without knowing the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back