How to wire washing machine motor for variable speed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of building a high RPM machine and want to use my washing machine motor. I have a w10140583 motor from a brand new maytag we purchased last year. The bearings in the tub went and believe it or not it was cheaper to buy a new washer than to have it repaired. That said.......

The motor is labeled 195V 5A 17500 RPM. I know some about electrical and understand the basics but I'm not sure exactly how to wire this up with a variable speed control so that i can adjust the RPM. 17500 is a bit much for what i want to do. There's nothing on youtube but people running them full speed and trying to burn them out. I know the speed can be adjusted but don;t know how to wire in a control. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you want a variable speed or just slower? Resizing the pulley on the output shaft would be the easiest method.

I want to be able to adjust the RPM. It's apparently a brushless AC motor with a block with 5 terminals. 3 and then the bottom 2 I assume are for the built in speed control in the end of the motor because they are wired to it. I have connected power to it, Hot to the 1st 2 terminals and common to the 3rd and it runs but there's no way to adjust the speed.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The label appears to describe the motor as being 3-phase. Without the original controls or cct diag. achieving what you require will be difficult. This may help http://www.logosfoundation.org/kursus/2113.html & if you google 3 phase speed controllers you may find something suitable, but they seem expensive. Or if you only have a single phase supply then look for "variable frequency drives", still expensive though. In reality, if that is the case then it would probably be cheaper to throw away the motor & but a new single phase motor & speed controller.

An invertor coupled to a 3 phase motor is the way to go if you will be loading the motor with variable torque.
As in a wood lathe for example. And no loss of rpm when the extra torque is applied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back