How/why is my light switch wired like this?

If the wiring is in that condition throughout your house, you must rewire it as soon as. I would imagine you're insurer would not pay out if your house burnt down due to an electrical fault cause by wiring that is well past it's serviceable age.

Sorry,

DS

Sponsored Links
Looks like I will be pricing up a rewire then

Not something I had planned so hopefully I can afford it!

It is not unusual to find that the sockets and power are PVC and the lighting is lead simply because people did not want the disruption to decor.(that was in the 70's !)
I would be interested to see a pic of your consumer unit(s) .

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
It's definitely not led, had a good look this morning.

As for the consumer units, oh dear I think you would laugh or cry. The new one for the kitchen is fine, but the rest of the house is on an old black fuse box, one switch for everything. :oops:

It's definitely not led, had a good look this morning.

As for the consumer units, oh dear I think you would laugh or cry. The new one for the kitchen is fine, but the rest of the house is on an old black fuse box, one switch for everything. :oops:

So, not a full rewire then:) if the kitchen has been done.

DS

Just checked and the kitchen lights are on the same circuit as the rest of the house, only the appliances are on the new consumer unit. That said, the kitchen is an extension dating back around 30 years so the lighting electrics in there may well be newer than the rest of the house.

That one switch is likely to have several different fuses under its cover for various circuits.

I don't think lead covered cable ever had an earth core - two core with the sheath as the earth. Connection to the sheath was done either by using clamps on the backboxes/fittings or by soldering.

The last versions of lead sheathed cable had a bare cpc, as it was realised the clamps were not great as the lead would creep from the pressure of the clamps, resulting in poor connections. Some manufacturers made sprung clamps to overcome this problem.

Yes, and for that reason we did not disturb an elderly lead installation,or you would crack the sheath and loose the earth!
I remember witnessing a 'fault condition' in an old church hall, the tubular heating was all wired in lead , it look'ed the firework racing along the lead sheath as it burnt the dust as it went !:D

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back