How wide can joints be in mortar for dwarf wall greenhouse

Sponsored Links
Can you explain that in English?
2020-07-14_120458.jpg

Instead of filling the gap with part of a brick cut down just under the cill, can you use cut bricks laid on edge to take up one course and part of one course?

The query is about the length of the course, not the height.

Sponsored Links
this is the course and it's the size of gap I want to know about!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 12.19.26.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 12.19.26.png
    339 KB · Views: 87
If I read this right you have dry laid the first course of bricks leaving a 10mm gap between bricks and found you have been left with a part brick gap?

In that case it is quite normal to have a wider mortar joint between each brick to lose that part brick gap

I laid a dry course, which had a gap, and then I 'filled' the gap by spacing the bricks on the course1 the gaps are a little more than 10mm say 14mm !

.....Why would it be normal to have a wider joint?

.....Why would it be normal to have a wider joint?

To lose the part brick gap

Standard brick length is 215mm however not all brick are exactly this length they have a tolerance , you use the mortar joint to make it to the standard length 225mm which means sometimes it is necessary to have a mortar joint bigger than 10mm

To lose the part brick gap

Standard brick length is 215mm however not all brick are exactly this length they have a tolerance , you use the mortar joint to make it to the standard length 225mm which means sometimes it is necessary to have a mortar joint bigger than 10mm
OK! but, how big can that mortar joint be? Also the shorter side has a gap as well, it's almost the length of a brick, would I be better having 2 smaller gaps in those courses?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back