How wide can joints be in mortar for dwarf wall greenhouse

Sponsored Links
I'm asking asm concerned about the bricks going over it won't have it's joint in centre of this shorter length brick!

Cut the brick above so it is in the centre but it isn't critical anyway for what you are doing.

If I read this right you have dry laid the first course of bricks leaving a 10mm gap between bricks and found you have been left with a part brick gap?

In that case it is quite normal to have a wider mortar joint between each brick to lose that part brick gap
If that's the case why have the rule of 10mm between bricks?

Sponsored Links
lol given that brick manufacturers can’t produce bricks of the same size, a constant 10mm perp joint is a rare sight :whistle:

Well it seems contradictory anyway!

Its not contradictory , bricks are a natural product therefore they will be of slightly different lengths , they only use 10mm because they assume every brick is exactly 215mm in length but in reality this is not the case , the mortar joint is used to make the size to 225mm so you will find that the joint can be less or more than 10mm

Regarding the other length of your dwarf wall if the gap left is nearly one brick then reduce the mortar joints between each brick to fit in a whole brick , this will look better than chopping a brick

How's about a pic of your first course of bricks dry laid so we can have a look?

Its not contradictory , bricks are a natural product therefore they will be of slightly different lengths , they only use 10mm because they assume every brick is exactly 215mm in length but in reality this is not the case , the mortar joint is used to make the size to 225mm so you will find that the joint can be less or more than 10mm

Regarding the other length of your dwarf wall if the gap left is nearly one brick then reduce the mortar joints between each brick to fit in a whole brick , this will look better than chopping a brick
Gap isn't that short to fit a whole brick!

Gap isn't that short to fit a whole brick!

Ok then you will have to chop a brick , now it's been a while since I laid a brick and I can't remember to maintain the bond you can lay the part brick at the end or you have to lay a part brick on one course then lay two part bricks on the next course to maintain the bond , hopefully someone can remind me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back