How wide can joints be in mortar for dwarf wall greenhouse

If that's the case why have the rule of 10mm between bricks?
There is a tolerance on brick sizes, 211 to 219 I think.

10mm is the nominal mortar gap. In reality a bricklayer will set out so a wall maintains its correct gauge not the gap size. So 5 bricks will measure 1125mm.

Sponsored Links
I'm asking asm concerned about the bricks going over it won't have it's joint in centre of this shorter length brick!

There are 2 options when setting out brickwork where the wall panel dimension is not an equal number of bricks.

You can either stretch the perpendicular joint a bit, or you can have a broken bond. Whichever you choose is up to you, there are no strength compromises on either option.

There's more than one way to deal with a broken bond.

Ok then you will have to chop a brick , now it's been a while since I laid a brick and I can't remember to maintain the bond you can lay the part brick at the end or you have to lay a part brick on one course then lay two part bricks on the next course to maintain the bond , hopefully someone can remind me!
If I lay it at the end won't that interfere with the longer length course?

There are 2 options when setting out brickwork where the wall panel dimension is not an equal number of bricks.

You can either stretch the perpendicular joint a bit, or you can have a broken bond. Whichever you choose is up to you, there are no strength compromises on either option.

Broken bond?

Sponsored Links
Broken bond?

image126.jpg

Are you sure there aren't 3 options?

While I'm here, I don't have room for notched story poles or anything fancy to help me get each course same height as last! What could I use to help me when brick work has not set hard! Anything I've seen on youtube has those poles or pins, or corner thingys but use set mortar to proceed with the job!

While I'm here, I don't have room for notched story poles or anything fancy to help me get each course same height as last! What could I use to help me when brick work has not set hard! Anything I've seen on youtube has those poles or pins, or corner thingys but use set mortar to proceed with the job!

Its called a tape measure , every course should be 75mm in height

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back