How will i get stripped grub screw out of bristan easy fit kitchen tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Bristan MZ SNK EF C easyfit kitchen tap.

The tap has 2 grub screws that keep it on the base, one grub screw is fine the other it totally stripped, when i put the correct sized allen key it just turns with no grip at all.

I have tried different sized keys, screwdrivers and even a trick i seenputting an elacstic band over the grub and pushing a allen key or screwdriver it do get more resistance but this didn't work either.

Are there any ways i could try to grip this with something? unfortunately the screw is set in the tap a little bit so you don't see the sides so its a bit hidden.

What makes it a little more awkward is that the screws are towards the back direction of the base and theres only about a 12cm gap to work with due to the kitchen window sill.

Theres no huge rush to get the tap off but i am a bit worried that in the future i may want to replace the tap with a newer / nicer tap and if i cannot get this screw out i am not sure how i will get it off as i do not want to damage the sink in any way as these taps only fit this sink.

I have got spare grub screws so that if i do get the screw out i can just pop a new one in, i'd really like to sort it though and know both screws will come out at any point i need them too.

Any help would be great

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
If it was me…..I’d leave it until I needed to actually remove it. You could try drilling it out but you might have to damage the tap to get it off but that won’t matter if you’re replacing it.

The trouble with the easyfit tap is that if the grub screws are not tight, it could leak mains water spraying across the kitchen. It would be best to get a new tap now and replace it.

Andy

I dont think this was with a tap, but i can remember having issues with a grub screw that i would not turn , seemed to be no grip on allen key - only to discover that infact there was NO grub screw fitted - racking my brain to remember what it was for , but i know it was difficult to see and tight against a wall or something and then used a small mirror and torch - only to find no screw at all.
just a thought and may not apply in your case, as indicated by other posters if not fitted then it would leak, i just remember what a pain this was

Sponsored Links
Very hard to get a grub screw out when the internal hex has rounded what I do is I use an outit a left handed screw remover which I cut off the lead on and tap it in then sharply turn anti clockwise it grabs the I remove the grub screw and replace it. Bob

I normal knock a spline bit or Torx bit in rounded off allen bolt heads.

What size should the allen head be?.

I have tried different sized keys, screwdrivers and even a trick i seenputting an elacstic band over the grub and pushing a allen key or screwdriver it do get more resistance but this didn't work either.

Have you tried both Imperial and Metric keys?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back