How would you lay reclaimed floorboard over tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lovely floorboards in my new house except in the kitchen diner, where there are tiles. How would i go about laying reclaimed floorboards? I understand the need air circulation so would i have to lay joists and mount on them? Can you rip the tiles up and lay them on cement?

Could be more trouble than its worth.

Sponsored Links
You would be sacrificing utilty for aesthetics. Why remove a servceable floor?

I do not like the tiles so would replace them anyway. I thought it might be nice to car the wood right through the ground floor.

Sponsored Links
Yeah i thought that but then i read a article of kitchen diners and they recommended them?

Some good wood-effect vinyls. That's what I'm putting in our kitchen.

Generally not into 'imitation' anything, but they have improved, and I think it gets around the kitchen spillage problems.

I have lovely floorboards in my new house except in the kitchen diner, where there are tiles. How would i go about laying reclaimed floorboards? I understand the need air circulation so would i have to lay joists and mount on them? Can you rip the tiles up and lay them on cement?

Could be more trouble than its worth.

Easiest way is to fix battens to the tiled floor and fix floorboards to them. How does the level of the tiled floor match up to the level of the floorboards in the adjacent room?

I don't think air circulation is going to be a issue with this etup.

Cheers
Richard

There are steps down to the kitchen diner so there is no levels to match up and can afford to lose the height. This maybe a option thank you.

Timber on a kitchen floor is never a wise choice.

I lived with a timber kitchen floor for many years. It was never unhygienic or problematic and would have one again. Much nicer feel than cold tiles.

Timber floors in a kitchen are not a problem as long as you don't have a leak. If you lay the floor on battens then sand with a hard durable floor finish you should get many years service out of it. When you lay the floor just make sure around the edges leave an expansion gap 9mm around the walls and every 1m leave what is called a penny gap. When the floor takes up atmospheric moisture in the air and the gaps will close up. Don't lay cheap laminate flooring in kitchen areas but some of the more expensive laminates are suitable, or engineered floor is suitable, bit with any of these products always check with the manufacturer

Something always leaks in a kitchen thats when you are glad you have a tiled floor and not a stinking rotting smell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back