How wrong is this

2scoops0406

Scenario, went to house yesterday with a view to updating the bathroom. In the bathroom was an electric shower. On initial inspection the shower had no isolator switch, the feed was apparently taken off a 45 amp MCB wired directly in with 6mm cable, there is no RCD protection and I don't think there is any additional cross bonding. I know that due it's location this is notifiable work, so I'm not touching it, just looking for advice.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Scenario, went to house yesterday with a view to updating the bathroom. In the bathroom was an electric shower. On initial inspection the shower had no isolator switch, the feed was apparently taken off a 45 amp MCB wired directly in with 6mm cable, there is no RCD protection and I don't think there is any additional cross bonding. I know that due it's location this is notifiable work, so I'm not touching it, just looking for advice.

What advice is it that you require?

What is the rating of the shower and the length of the supply cable?

The shower is rated at 8.5 - 9.5 Kw the supply cable would be in the order of 10 meters. The advice I'm looking for is firstly is this as dangerous as I think it is, what remedial action should be taken. The place is going to be a rental property so safety is an issue (not that it shouldn't be in your own home)

a little 'off topic', but the plumber i had in this week 'removed' the shower by just cutting straight through the 6mm cable the 'wrong' - there was a god almightly bang and it blew the 60a main incoming supply fuse - nothing on my CU

think its time to replace the old wylex wire based one with a nice new mcb\rcd cu and have the shower wired in correctly :confused:

Sponsored Links
Firstly the cable needs to be 10mm2 for 10 metres length

An isolator is required either a ceiling DP 45A pull switch or wall switch outside bathroom.

There is no requirement in the regs for an RCD BUT all shower manufacturers recommend one.

Also all sockets that could be used to supply portable equipment outside should be protected by an RCD.

If the property is going to rented out a PIR should be carried out

I agree a PIR should be carried out, but it's not actually a requirement. Surprised about the RCD, would it be possible to replace the MCB with an RCBO ?

would it be possible to replace the MCB with an RCBO ?

YES

and also you'll need one for ground floor sockets

2 x RCCBO will cost almost as much as 12 way split load consumer unit.

ON the subject of landlords oblgations

There is no requirement for PIR just a recomendation - but under Consumer Law and health & Safety and also the 2003 Housing Act you are obliged to provide safe premises.
Any portable appliances supplied with property will need PAT test as well.

Hi,
Whilst doing my DIS course I was told that there is no need to fit 'local' isolation to showers, when I commented that I would continue to fit 45a switches the tutor told me I was wasting my time and money doing so !!!
( we didn't get on from there on in !!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

EddieCurrent said:
Hi,
Whilst doing my DIS course I was told that there is no need to fit 'local' isolation to showers, when I commented that I would continue to fit 45a switches the tutor told me I was wasting my time and money doing so !!!
( we didn't get on from there on in !!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

Makes you wonder what else he is "teaching" :eek:
God help the electrical industry

Hi All,

My DIS 'course' was indeed a total farce in my opinion, @£995 to sit in a classroom and have a 'general' chat with other sparks about the dodgy work we had all encountered.
We were assured of a pass on day one, and our knowledge of the regs was not questioned, just expected.
I passed and got the cert , but to be honest we were virtually 'talked' through the test paper as well ! :oops:
I understand the different levels of understanding required, between a domestic installer and a qualified electrician, but the standards , (as for my personal experience ) should be a lot higher for domestic installer schemes.
Happy Chrimbo !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back