How wrong is this

You're right about the DIS course, you can't fail. When I done it there were guys there I wouldn't trust to change a plug.
At least the tutor was honest enough to admit it's all about making money right down the line.
In his own words a lot of the people he had helped pass should not be working on electrics without supervision

Sponsored Links
Eddie, please educate me.

Why did you (and others) pay £ 995.00 to sit a course when all you needed to do was apply to be a member of one of the self certification bodies?

Since passing your course have you joined any of the self certification schemes and if so did the DIS qualification help?

Before doing the DIS course what other electrical qualifications did you hold?

Sorry for all the questions but this is an area I know very little about.

Pens.

The reason I done the DIS was that I had no electrical quals.

Joined elecsa they wanted a qualification even if it's a bit flimsy.

The reason for me wanting part p reg. was that good sparks are always busy and find it hard working to my program. You can't expect them to drop everything to turn up to your job, just cos you need a sparks for an hour. So now I can do it myself and stay within the law so to speak.

I still use a good sparks, but he's got to much work, he dosen't want all my work. He can pick and choose with me and if I need to know anything I just give him a ring. He's not the cheapest but very reliable and trustworthy, it's a good working relationship.

We can all tell tales of some of the work we seen done by some electricians this is my way of avoiding them. Even if it does cost loads

gangman said:
Pens.

Joined elecsa they wanted a qualification even if it's a bit flimsy.

Gangman, that's the bit that confuses me.

When I done it there were guys there I wouldn't trust to change a plug.

So would these guys get straight into ELECSA with the DIS qualification or would they fall over during the final face to face ELECSA interview?

Sponsored Links
Who knows, remember it's about money. I hope elecsa, napit etc. aren't enrolling everybody just for fees from their membership. Personally I wouldn't have thougt so. On my assesment spent about one and half to two hours chatting with the assesor, then on the work I was showing him got me to show him insulation test and something else can't remember, that was it.
The thing is by talking to you they should suss you, if not they can look at your testing but we probably all know someone who is no good at practical but can pass exams.
I think the idea of part p is good but I'm cynical and think it's becoming more about money.

Hello Pensdown.
I will be starting a new post in which I will explain my scenario and its outcome, which you may find interesting mate.
Happy x-mas.

spen9992002 said:
think you will find there is now a requirement for rcd protection to all electric showers

Oh really?

Where is that written?

There is absolutely no requirement to RCD protect showers. Not until the 17th Edition, anyway, mid 2008.

However, most shower manufacturers ask for RCD protection in their instructions.

So in summary, I can just leave it as it is, as it doesn't not conform to any regs. Hmm, I wouldn't be happy having a shower with it. Anyhow, no room for an RCCBO takes up 2 ways (?) so would be a replacement CU anyway? Or alternative messing around with additional boxes etc?

OMG
There is no requirement for a shower to have local isolation.

A shower AFAIK is a piece of fixed electrical equipment that may need maintenance. Ergo - it must have local isolation

Eddie M if you have MK or Wylex CU single way RCCBO are available

Eddie M said:
Anyhow, no room for an RCCBO takes up 2 ways (?) so would be a replacement CU anyway?

RCBO's take up the same space as MCB's, i.e. one slot.

I can't find any requirement in the regs for isolation to be local. Also there is no requirement for a RCD. However I would fit both. I wouldn't fit a shower or replace one without fitting a RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back