How

Sponsored Links
Pipe work isn't a major issue, the mains appliance is a bit of a problem. You are a bit limited to what you can do, building a cupboard around it with a locking door so it isn't in the zones is about the only non drastic action.
You could make the door open to impede access from the bath to the boiler too.

701.55 Current-using equipment list what is allowed and this includes (vii) Water heating appliances so not sure it does not comply already it would depend what the manufacturer says as to where it can be installed.

I would agree that a cupboard which requires a tool for access (i.e. a key or screwdriver) would mean it complies under the electric rules but it may then fall foul of gas rules and really the covers around the unit make it into a cupboard anyway.

If the gas rules need ventilation then any partition would need to be 2.25 meters high or reach the ceiling and width of bath plus 0.6 meters taking it out of the zones. Clearly can't be powered with plug and socket would need to be a FCU or isolator in another room.

But first job is down load the manufacturers instructions and see what that say as it may be OK rule wise. I would also ask on plumbing bit to see what the rules are about boxing in as far as gas goes.

Will need to be IPx4 for directly in zone 2 where sprays aren't used.

Sponsored Links
701.55 Current-using equipment list what is allowed and this includes (vii) Water heating appliances so not sure it does not comply already
That applies to zone 1.
There are no restrictions in zone 2 apart from IPX4 (or IPX5).

it would depend what the manufacturer says as to where it can be installed.
It would.

It is probably unlikely that the manufacturer would state it is suitable for a bathroom even if it were.

701.55 Current-using equipment list what is allowed and this includes (vii) Water heating appliances so not sure it does not comply already
That applies to zone 1. There are no restrictions in zone 2 apart from IPX4 (or IPX5).
... other than 'accessories incorporating switches' etc. Does that intend to relate only to manually operated switches, or would also apply to equipment incorporating, say, flow-operated switches?

Kind Regards, John

... other than 'accessories incorporating switches' etc.
A boiler is not an accessory

Does that intend to relate only to manually operated switches, or would also apply to equipment incorporating, say, flow-operated switches?
It applies to accessories.

The following requirements do not apply to switches and controls which are incorporated in fixed current-using equipment...

People always forget the electric shower and its location.

It applies to accessories.
Fair enough.
People always forget the electric shower and its location.
I know - and I have to say that I was quite frightened/shocked the first time I saw one with its cover off. I had previously assumed that there were all sorts of 'very clever measures' inside to keep water and electricity apart!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back