Howden DH501 Immersion fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 89 yr old mother has a hot water tank that is connected to her multi fuel stove. I want to add an immersion heater so she can have hot water without lighting the stove. The tank has no immersion boss. I understand that a Howden DH501 will do the job. The tank is installed in a very tight corner in her kitchen. Can the Howden unit be installed from the outside of the tank without access to the interior?

Sponsored Links
Yes it's all done from outside the cylinder, if you have a Direct Cylinder then no problem it can be fitted anywhere you have access, if it's an Indirect Cylinder it will have to go above the coil, post a pic of the cylinder.

I wonder how cost, reliability and effort would compare to just buying a new cylinder.

For a bath, the element needs to reach, or be fitted, quite low.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I bought one and the fitting instructions seem straightforward. It'll be installed as low as possible. The tank is directly heated from the stove thankfully. It's definitely going to be easier and cheaper than a new cylinder, can't comment yet on reliability!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back