Tripping thermostat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My immersion thermostat keeps tripping as the hot water tank is also heated by a multi-fuel stove. The 'stat is set to its highest , is there any solution to this problem as it's a pain getting to the tank. :(

Sponsored Links
My immersion thermostat keeps tripping as the hot water tank is also heated by a multi-fuel stove. The 'stat is set to its highest , is there any solution to this problem as it's a pain getting to the tank. :(
Why do you need the immersion on?

Turn it off and only turn it on when the stove goes out.

What do you mean by "tripping"?

Is it the resettable overheat?

Why are you letting the stove get so hot, in summer?

Do you know what a "Cyltrol" is?

Sponsored Links
If you are using a resettable stat in an immersion heater, bathed in a cylinder connected to a fuel burning stove, chances are you are exceeding the stat trip temperature with your stored water.

There is no solution as you cannot control the water temp satisfactorily and the new immersions all come with the reset trip.

It has nothing to do with whether you are using the immersion or not.

Only bodge is to use an old pattern immersion stat without the reset button. But I didn't suggest it. You ain't seen me, right? :LOL:

... cannot control the water temp satisfactorily ...Only bodge is to use an old pattern immersion stat ...
or use a cyltrol or similar, if you have somewhere else for the excess heat to go (such as a towel rail).

this is very effective in controlling cylinder max temp on a gravity system and needs no wiring

p.s. some young fellers may not know about such things

A fuel burning heater running full chat may need a very big towel rail in a very cold room to avoid the OPs problem. :LOL:

otherwise it will be boiling the header tank......

Thanks all.
simond sees the problem, maybe i'm not very good at explaining!. But so far haven't been able to locate a replacement old type thermostat, which worked fine for years.
It's a Rayburn used for cooking,hot water, and central heating which is off in summer. If I can't find an old type thermostat I suppose the only solution is to remember to run off hot water regularily. It's a bugger on days when the Rayburn isn't on, finding that the thermo has tripped when we want hot water and it needs an expedition into the attic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back