Howdens ... never again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was a bit unsure whether I was allowed to post this but have read the rules and think it is ok. In any case I really need to get this off my chest. Im easy going and take the rough with the smooth but this took the cake.

I was at Howdens today to order some stuff and took along the builder who is doing some installation work for me.

I have never in my life had such rude and unpleasant and sloppy unprofessional customer service, right from the receptionist/sales girl to the loading bay staff. Having given them the measurements I needed and them saying it was ok and the material would be cut as ordered, when I went to collect it at the loading bay it was obviously the wrong size.

The loading bay personnel then said in a not so soft voice that 'if they (meaning the two of us) could speak english mistakes would not happen like this' ... they didn't say it in such polite terms. Then they went on to make some nasty racist comments supposedly only to each other but was plain to hear.

The fact was:
a) the order was written down for them to follow
b) i am English born and bred (not the point I know), cockney actually but speak English!
c) my builder is originally from Eastern European (but speaks perfectly good English).

I am writing to the HQ of Howdens and a copy to the store that I got the material from.

I will never under any circumstances buy from Howdens again.

Feel a bit better now.

Jack

Sponsored Links
Having worked in a shop I know that staff say all sorts of rude things about customers, but that only usually applies to awkwards and PITA's

You've every right to complain though, that was out of order. They probably thought you couldn't hear them. (It's funny how people think cos they can't see you that you can't hear them round corners)

Which branch was it btw?

Hey I am glad to see its not just an American problem.. I went to plumbing supply and spoke to the counter person and he looked at me with a blank stare and finally said "no understand English"

To make it worse try to order parts like a 2" x 2 x 11/2 TEE and have the "plumbing department" ask you to please draw them a picture.

I figured faxing the order in would speed things up but they told me they normally fill the fax orders when they get around to it (with in a day or so)

You have to love being native born and have to use sign language to get the items you want and the governments find nothing wrong with this as the schools are called raciest if they do not hire teachers who speak the language of the new comers .

Over the next 20 years it should be interesting how the world is going to change drastically with rudeness being the normal and a major lack of communication.

Many years ago a politician made a fatal mistake saying "English" speaking countries should be given preference as far as filling quota's for work visas so they will not require any language training.

Today if one said that they would be jailed (or stoned)

The fact was:
b) i am English born and bred (not the point I know), cockney actually but speak English!
Cockney is not English - if I had my way you would all have to take courses in how to speak proppa like wot I duz.

c) my builder is originally from Eastern European (but speaks perfectly good English).
Excuse me while I say "tough sh*t then".

I am writing to the HQ of Howdens and a copy to the store that I got the material from.
Oooo aren't you brave - what about asking to speak to the manager at the store at the time?

I will never under any circumstances buy from Howdens again.
Are you clutching a handbag whilst typing this?

Feel a bit better now.
Ah bless. :rolleyes:

This aside, Howdens is "supposed" to be a trade only store, so I'd say the "chaps" in there were not use to dealing with the sensitive public.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
This aside, Howdens is "supposed" to be a trade only store, so I'd say the "chaps" in there were not use to dealing with the sensitive public.

No defence. A paying customer is a paying customer. If you don't treat them with respect then it costs you money in the long run, in lost business. As proved in this case.

I have worked in many shops. I know that if you are an arsehole of a customer, the staff will bitch about you in the staff areas. I have been known to bitch about bad customers to other customers, when they really rattle me.

Some customers deserve it though. One shop i worked in, there was a regular who would go round the shop, fill her basket with nothing but multibuy products (buy one get one...) and manually reduced items (which have to be keyed in by hand at the till), and place them on the checkout 2 at a time to check the multibuys came up and the cashier was overriding the reduced items. And oh did we bitch about her! If anything did come up wrongly, she would play merry hell. She'd stand by the front door surrounded by bags and check her reciept with a fine tooth comb, while in the way of all the nice customers.

But there is definitely no excuse for racism or disabled jibes.

[quote="gcol"

This aside, Howdens is "supposed" to be a trade only store, so I'd say the "chaps" in there were not use to dealing with the sensitive public.[/quote]

Why did they take his money then gcol... what you are saying in effect is that Howdens staff can racially abuse customers be rude and supply incorrect materials because the customers are non trade and therefore are not worthy of politeness. Get a grip :rolleyes:

Why did they take his money then gcol...
I have no idea. They say they're a trade only company but in reality seem to take anyone's money.

what you are saying in effect is that Howdens staff can racially abuse customers be rude and supply incorrect materials because the customers are non trade and therefore are not worthy of politeness.
No, that's what you're saying I'm saying. What I actually meant it exactly what I wrote. :rolleyes:

Get a grip :rolleyes:
Calm down dear, it's only a forum! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why did they take his money then gcol...
I have no idea. They say they're a trade only company but in reality seem to take anyone's money.

what you are saying in effect is that Howdens staff can racially abuse customers be rude and supply incorrect materials because the customers are non trade and therefore are not worthy of politeness.
No, that's what you're saying I'm saying. What I actually meant it exactly what I wrote. :rolleyes:

Get a grip :rolleyes:
Calm down dear, it's only a forum! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Aah, the spirit of 'Softus', alive and well!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

should have told them to shove it up there pipe and gone eles were :) i have been racially abuse many times over the years tell to go f### then grass them up on the spot,or call the cops :LOL: u will get a funny smell then :LOL: :LOL: and there wont be a smirk on anybodys face:cool:

You can call me 'whitey' anytime. Who cares? I'm not ashamed to be British and white.

The only people that are offended by race issues are those that are ashamed of what they are.

You can call me 'whitey' anytime. Who cares? I'm not ashamed to be British and white.

The only people that are offended by race issues are those that are ashamed of what they are.

so do you agree that howdens are rubbsih or not with that statement joe?

just here to try to stir things up arnt you! :LOL:

No I;m happy to be white and a Brit. Not interested in what Howdens call people. They can call me what they like. Not bothered in the slightest. This racism stuff is a load of cobblers.

Sponsored Links
Back